HybridZ

New to forum, introduction.

Mark Leader

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Mark Leader and I own a 1982 280ZXT. I took possession of it in 1989. While it has a decent amount of suspension modifications, it is primarily set up to go quickly in a straight line. After upgrading turbos, exhaust, and intake in the early 1990s, I hit a wall regarding the ability of the stock air flow meter to handle additional HP. Thru a set of circumstances, I met Clark Steppler at JWT and he asked if I would be willing to let him use my car as a test mule for the development of a fuel management system for the L series engine. I said, "where do I sign". He has been tuning the car since that time, as I make different modifications. The journey of modifications, goofs, and the process of the work on the car would take me so long to go over, that who ever was reading it would fall asleep halfway thru. I am about to "freshen the car up", so I'll outline it's current set up and then the ideas I have to re-create it. That's were I hope this knowledgeable forum will be able to help, as I know I'll need some assistance. While I have done most of the installation work on the car, it's been 10 years since I've touched or driven it. It is under a cover, waiting patiently to get a massage. Current configuration: stock block, heads ported as much as I think they can be with 1mm oversize valves, JWT mild L series camshaft, Ross 8:1 forged pistons, strengthened stock rods, GT3582 (.82 exhaust A/R) turbo, JWT fuel management system (tuned by Clark at JWT), 18"x6"x3 1/2" vertical flow Spearco intercooler, 2 1/2" (OD) piping, Richard Lee external wastegate, Trust long tube turbo header, a vintage Mallory coil (magspark?) which is the only coil that would allow me to run 30+ lbs of boost without blowing out the spark, 3" custom exhaust system, TH400 transmission with a 4,000 stall, 1988 Z31 R200 LSD differential with 3.71 gears, stock wheels with rears widened to 8", 6 pt roll bar, stock interior in real good shape, color of car is white. That's a brief overview. Ideas to "re-create" it: Paint it ( the paint is actually in good shape, I'd just like it to sparkle) same or similar white. Freshen interior with . .some, as yet undecided material (the interior is red and I'll keep it red). I plan on "upgrading" the turbo to either the GTX version of my GT3582 or a GTX3584 (I am going to put my head together with Clark and go over the compressor maps to try and determine if the 3584 will allow the set up to retain it's excellent transient boost response). I plan on having a local shop (run by Frank Honowetz and Ed PInk, so I feel I'm in good hands engine wise) build the bottom end to accommodate the expected power and torque. My current idea is to stroke the engine to 3.0L using the stock crank (I've been away from the car and potential modifications for so long, this was news to me), and make it a high compression (10:1) engine (I know that is probably open to debate for a number of reasons). Increase intercooler piping diameter to 3" in and 3 1/4" out. Upgrade TB size from current 60 (?)mm to 80-85mm. Upgrade intercooler (size wise) as much as I can, being limited horizontally. I'm hoping some of you experienced L series gurus can give me feedback on intercooler sizing. Keep it externally gated and ditch the current wastegate in favor of an appropriate sized Tial. The injectors will have to be upgraded, but as of now, I don't know what I'll need: I'm pretty sure JWT has come up with some new info regarding the overall fuel management system, so I will defer to Clark for those upgrades. I am fortunate to live in an area that has multiple E85 stations.....which has been a game changer in the world of modified cars, especially forced induction ones. So the car will have a flex fuel tune. I have a few goodies I've been accumulating: new brake kit, electric water pump (I have an electric fan that I'll keep), a new harmonic balancer whose brand name I can't recall at the moment, a high output (120 amps) alternator, some spiffy brackets, etc. I'm sure I left out a number of changes, upgrades, concerns, etc. but I don't want this book to get any longer. Whoever is still reading.....I appreciate it. I plan on using the accumulated info of the forum, and those of you much wiser than I to assist me with this project. I imagine most of the folks that frequent car forums and spend a decent amount of time and money modifying cars, have some level of passion (sometimes obsession........which I respect) for their cars. I also own a modified 1990 300ZXT (Z32) that I have owned since 1994, as well as a modified 2012 GTR that I bought new in 2011 (The first new car I ever purchased. The reason I mention the other cars is that if someone said you can only keep one of them, I would, without hesitation, keep the 280). It might not have come across in my overview, but the amount of time, enjoyment, learning about the car, accumulating some degree of knowledge about automotive performance (especially surrounding turbochargers), friends I've made because of the car, stories of juvenile shenanigans, uniqueness of the car, the feeling of cars' acceleration (It's quicker than the E85 GTR), and so on, have made me attached to the car beyond it being "an old Datsun". I, however, will never call it "she" or "my baby".....sorry. I started my passion for cars in the late 1960s in LA. My first Hot Rod was a 1967 SS396 that I put a 427 in, set up to be a high performing street racer. I spent alot of time in a place called Van Nuys Blvd. It was the center for high performance cars to cruise, meet girls, and street race. I still have a part of that kid in me, and the upcoming refreshing and upgrading of the little Datsun taps into that. So.....howdy!  PS I've been trying, without success, to locate Jeff Priddy. He and I spent some time together about 15ish years ago. Our cars were set up very similar. He had a manual, I had an auto. He was a super bright, nice, helpful guy that I would love to reconnect with. I understand he's pretty well respected on this forum (for good reason) and maybe someone can help me contact him......or if you are reading this Jeff, call me: 818 425-4322. I don't know if there is a "member or profile page" to put together contact and car info, I couldn't find one. 

Edited by Mark Leader
Misspelling, missing letters, incorrect year on car.

Mark, I broke your word block up in to pieces, so people can catch a breath if they read it.

Unfortunately, the heyday of the forum was about when I joined and the years before.  Many of the guys that were very deep in to the L engines have moved on.  No offense to those that are still here.  I got to see a few good years of deep discussions go by from the guys that know stuff.  But things have been slow for quite a while.

Did you say that you have a GM Turbo 400 behind your L series engine?

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Mark Leader and I own a 1982 280ZXT. I took possession of it in 1989. While it has a decent amount of suspension modifications, it is primarily set up to go quickly in a straight line. After upgrading turbos, exhaust, and intake in the early 1990s, I hit a wall regarding the ability of the stock air flow meter to handle additional HP. Thru a set of circumstances, I met Clark Steppler at JWT and he asked if I would be willing to let him use my car as a test mule for the development of a fuel management system for the L series engine. I said, "where do I sign". He has been tuning the car since that time, as I make different modifications. 
The journey of modifications, goofs, and the process of the work on the car would take me so long to go over, that who ever was reading it would fall asleep halfway thru. I am about to "freshen the car up", so I'll outline it's current set up and then the ideas I have to re-create it. That's were I hope this knowledgeable forum will be able to help, as I know I'll need some assistance. 

While I have done most of the installation work on the car, it's been 10 years since I've touched or driven it. It is under a cover, waiting patiently to get a massage. Current configuration: stock block, heads ported as much as I think they can be with 1mm oversize valves, JWT mild L series camshaft, Ross 8:1 forged pistons, strengthened stock rods, GT3582 (.82 exhaust A/R) turbo, JWT fuel management system (tuned by Clark at JWT), 18"x6"x3 1/2" vertical flow Spearco intercooler, 2 1/2" (OD) piping, Richard Lee external wastegate, Trust long tube turbo header, a vintage Mallory coil (magspark?) which is the only coil that would allow me to run 30+ lbs of boost without blowing out the spark, 3" custom exhaust system, TH400 transmission with a 4,000 stall, 1988 Z31 R200 LSD differential with 3.71 gears, stock wheels with rears widened to 8", 6 pt roll bar, stock interior in real good shape, color of car is white. 
That's a brief overview. Ideas to "re-create" it: Paint it ( the paint is actually in good shape, I'd just like it to sparkle) same or similar white. Freshen interior with . .some, as yet undecided material (the interior is red and I'll keep it red). I plan on "upgrading" the turbo to either the GTX version of my GT3582 or a GTX3584 (I am going to put my head together with Clark and go over the compressor maps to try and determine if the 3584 will allow the set up to retain it's excellent transient boost response). I plan on having a local shop (run by Frank Honowetz and Ed PInk, so I feel I'm in good hands engine wise) build the bottom end to accommodate the expected power and torque. My current idea is to stroke the engine to 3.0L using the stock crank (I've been away from the car and potential modifications for so long, this was news to me), and make it a high compression (10:1) engine (I know that is probably open to debate for a number of reasons). Increase intercooler piping diameter to 3" in and 3 1/4" out. Upgrade TB size from current 60 (?)mm to 80-85mm. Upgrade intercooler (size wise) as much as I can, being limited horizontally. I'm hoping some of you experienced L series gurus can give me feedback on intercooler sizing. Keep it externally gated and ditch the current wastegate in favor of an appropriate sized Tial. The injectors will have to be upgraded, but as of now, I don't know what I'll need: I'm pretty sure JWT has come up with some new info regarding the overall fuel management system, so I will defer to Clark for those upgrades. I am fortunate to live in an area that has multiple E85 stations.....which has been a game changer in the world of modified cars, especially forced induction ones. So the car will have a flex fuel tune. 

I have a few goodies I've been accumulating: new brake kit, electric water pump (I have an electric fan that I'll keep), a new harmonic balancer whose brand name I can't recall at the moment, a high output (120 amps) alternator, some spiffy brackets, etc. I'm sure I left out a number of changes, upgrades, concerns, etc. but I don't want this book to get any longer. Whoever is still reading.....I appreciate it. I plan on using the accumulated info of the forum, and those of you much wiser than I to assist me with this project. I imagine most of the folks that frequent car forums and spend a decent amount of time and money modifying cars, have some level of passion (sometimes obsession........which I respect) for their cars. I also own a modified 1990 300ZXT (Z32) that I have owned since 1994, as well as a modified 2012 GTR that I bought new in 2011 (The first new car I ever purchased. The reason I mention the other cars is that if someone said you can only keep one of them, I would, without hesitation, keep the 280). 

It might not have come across in my overview, but the amount of time, enjoyment, learning about the car, accumulating some degree of knowledge about automotive performance (especially surrounding turbochargers), friends I've made because of the car, stories of juvenile shenanigans, uniqueness of the car, the feeling of cars' acceleration (It's quicker than the E85 GTR), and so on, have made me attached to the car beyond it being "an old Datsun". I, however, will never call it "she" or "my baby".....sorry. 
I started my passion for cars in the late 1960s in LA. My first Hot Rod was a 1967 SS396 that I put a 427 in, set up to be a high performing street racer. I spent alot of time in a place called Van Nuys Blvd. It was the center for high performance cars to cruise, meet girls, and street race. I still have a part of that kid in me, and the upcoming refreshing and upgrading of the little Datsun taps into that. So.....howdy!  

PS I've been trying, without success, to locate Jeff Priddy. He and I spent some time together about 15ish years ago. Our cars were set up very similar. He had a manual, I had an auto. He was a super bright, nice, helpful guy that I would love to reconnect with. I understand he's pretty well respected on this forum (for good reason) and maybe someone can help me contact him......or if you are reading this Jeff, call me: 818 425-4322. I don't know if there is a "member or profile page" to put together contact and car info, I couldn't find one.