HybridZ

Door skin rust question

BoostLee

If you unfold it and it doesn't break from the rust then it should be strong enough to be hammered back after removing the rust, just be very careful not to open it more than needed to get it off the inside piece.  You don't want to see the results of the bend on the out side of the door.

10 hours ago, BoostLee said:

I’ll probably end up doing that thanks. The thing i’m worried about is if it ends up needing a lip, and welding in such a narrow piece. 

In that case I would drill holes along the bottom of the inside piece and plug weld the skin and inside piece together, with some careful grinding you could save it.

I have a similar problem, but maybe bigger.  I have two door shells that came from my car - with no skins at all.  The originals were removed to deal with the same problem Boost has.  Unfortunately, the skins were damaged beyond any hope of use in a tragic sandblasting operation. 😫.  I bought two replacement doors 20+ years ago but they go to a late 76 280, mine is early. 

So I've been considering removing the good skins and installing them on the correct shells. I figured I'd drill the spot welds, warm the flanges and pry them open - as grannyknot suggests - as little as possible.  Reinstall would be plug welding through the old spot weld holes.

Anyone ever attempt such a thing?