Jump to content
HybridZ

Modified Center Console - shifter relocation


Recommended Posts

So I have a vq35de swap with cd009 6 spd in my 73. With that, the shifter has been moved about 2 inches to the rear from the stock location. I wanted to keep the stock console so this is what I ended up with. Very happy with the results, if you don’t know these cars very well, you would never know it was relocated.


As for the original panel above the fuse panel, I made a new one with a sheet of abs plastic and a heat gun. Then I wrapped it in suede. It’s a perfect spot for the phone. I have since changed the cord to a black one so it blends in nicely.

 

pic dump!
 

B5302007-D9D9-4B23-9EE4-0F65784F617A.jpeg.1e8feeda48142f25b8f8ecdc33a12a94.jpeg

 

B5BF9459-B919-43D6-8E73-2279E432BEA5.jpeg.de8e01d6890a7bcf460c901a9ab2f498.jpeg

 

The photo above shows the piece already cut and epoxied in the new spot. I filled in any other cut areas with some abs plastic pieces cut to fit.
 

CB189B22-ADBA-4C5B-A999-11A4865CD1D9.jpeg.174e700ce8dc52d5bf52c8aa6e6058b0.jpeg
 

choke slot filled with epoxy and the body filler to smooth out.

 

12FCDF7B-0971-40B6-B391-6ED77EAC12F4.jpeg.f70a2bf14605bb92af5dc0bea0de6bb5.jpeg

 

DBD4573F-10BF-45E1-A9BC-50DF18AD6C93.jpeg.0bd0c0abe3167bcec4a60cac75dafafc.jpeg
 

4A89A983-919B-4D7B-944C-2EAE34D81056.jpeg.3ac1c933610e71f651409d9555516172.jpeg

 

7C8B4DA1-2D04-4374-ADE4-FB05CBB0AA48.jpeg.3233426d363fc6f0003b4d6f953250ca.jpeg

 

414BF808-D4C9-4F6A-B138-08F4A2ED80EA.jpeg.38d99f8947b15c6a58a1d3daef878aa8.jpeg

 

2FAA9B89-5418-425F-80A1-50C578BFD350.jpeg.c8408476705d3bacdc4f99a8a1877a49.jpeg

 

2FC4ADFC-5607-45A8-AE7D-8C8D1AB623D9.jpeg.c081b46da9c5748fe9d3e3b06b76149c.jpeg

 

63EE464D-2B58-415D-B777-DD58A2A72670.jpeg.95dd6da7dad2b72274a7443951154ce0.jpeg

 

D1DCF7D7-EFA2-4BB1-820A-6E77A04F07BA.jpeg.315144381796c75ecb0fcba59ae0f3f0.jpeg

 

598C96C6-15A0-4AC5-88BA-B9F8E6CB1D0F.jpeg.d7f95a454ea39d53752237bd97327974.jpeg

 

8CE8CDDE-B8C0-46D4-B0A3-EAB7DE5C11C3.jpeg.2185c4c7bfb47ea8a15cce7779d1150a.jpeg
 

 

I used SEM texture and trim black paint to finish it. Other details include repairing/adding new shifter boot tabs to clip the boot to. And putting a little suede in the ash tray for the rfid key fob (push button start).

 

 

Edited by Tank
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...
3 hours ago, Arcdef said:

Looks great! I need to do exactly this on my 280z console. Any tips for me before I start cutting at the weekend?

Thanks! Take it slow, consoles are kind of rare and expensive! And depending on the condition, you may want to coat the entire console with a fresh coat of the SEM trim black paint to get a uniform finish. I also polished the stainless steel trim and ash tray cover to look as new as I could get it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...