HybridZ

Returning to the 240z

AydinZ71

Hi all! 

I bought my original 71’ in 2000, when I was 16. I had to sell the car to move across country. Now that I am settled again, I just bought another 71’.

I’m not new to Z’s, but it has been a while. I was a mechanic specializing in Nissan’s back in HS and college. Now I’m an engineer working in the alternative energy industry.

my old Z had an L28et with a T3/T4 and IV Supra intercooler. I did all the work myself, and intend to do so again.

the one I just purchased seems to be an old SCCA racer. It has a fuel cell, complete cage, engine fire suppression system, stripped completely. Seller claims it has an R200 LSD. While I certainly recognize the R200 back there, I’m still suspicious of whether it is an LSD. 

its got the P90A hydraulic head, but still sitting on the L24 block. Must have been necessary to qualify in its class. 

anyways, just wanted to introduce myself! 

79373EB2-7F54-43C0-9FBA-3A49E87D99BA.jpeg

7E974231-2C20-43A9-8B28-8220DE8E975A.jpeg

• Like 1

The previous owner reinstalled brake lights and head lights. I think I’m going to slowly work it into something more for the street. I’m not too focused on comfort since my daily driver is for that. First task is to sand/scrape all the rust and apply converter. Let me know if you have any tips!

eventually looking to put in a more modern fuel injected engine. The car is way beyond stock now, so nothing really holding me back. Thinking about an RB25DET with its 5 speed.

Welcome back to the fold!

Depending on the severity of rust and how you feel about it will be how you go about it. Cutting out and replacing the far gone parts etc. I personally like a needle scaler for areas I am unsure about, if it punctures then it wasn't much good to begin with, if it doesn't it leaves a pretty clean finish to apply what you need to.

I personally like JZ's, but nothing against the RB's. Looks like it will be pretty sweet.

Thanks! So far it looks like the floorboards and the lower rear quarter panel have it the worst. I don’t have an air compressor yet for the needle scaler, so in the meantime il be using a grinding wheel and various wire attachments. 

my plan is to get to bare metal, hit everything I can’t with SEM rust mort, seal it with a corrosion resistant primer, then use underbody coating spray can. 

any idea on how to get the unreachable spaces like inside the frame rails? They seem to have orifices, but can’t get more than a finger in there.

going to por-15 most of the inside.

• 2 months later...

Updates!!

So as I dug into the SCCA car, i noticed quite a bit of rust. The guy who sold it to me was not honest about it, and it would be very naive if he didnt know about it. Someone used what looks to be silicone filler to hide the rust-through holes on the hatch and wheel wells. I have spent the past two months cutting and welding-in new sheet metal and replacement panels. I have about another month or two to go.

Originally, i wanted to convert the car into a road & track machine. looking at the SCCA Class "E" rules, it seems like the car was set up for competitive racing and is class compliant. It seems like a real shame to remove or modify so many design elements that make it a compliant race car. As a result, i decided I was going to remove all the rust and make some other necessary mechanical improvements, then sell her. If anyone is interested, I have documented all the work on IG @240z_restomod . I will post some pictures here in case some don't user IG. I don't use facebook's platform myself (too much politics).

In another insane development, I am getting back my original 240z! I kept in touch with the guy who bought it 5 years ago, and threw him the crazy idea of me buying it back now that I have a garage again and significant improvements in life stability (i moved across country for a job when I sold the car originally). I sold the car for $5,500, and buying it back for $10,500. The increase factors in about $3,000 in improvements the new owner made, and the crazy appreciation we are experiencing. Here is a video of the car as it is now if yall are interested!

• 1 month later...