HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
Mayolives

Drive Shaft Length

I installed a five speed (late model, type "B") from I believe a 1981, 280zx into a 73, 240Z.  I used a drive shaft removed from another 73, 240z, 4 speed, parts car.  The driveshaft appears to be about an inch too long.  I had a bit of trouble sliding the yoke into the transmission.  I checked the splines on both the yoke and the transmission with a small, machinist ruler and they looked perfectly straight and clean.  But I still had to lightly tape the yoke into the gear box.  I know the joint needs to slide a little when the car is in motion but it' a little tight.  Also, I'm not sure the yoke is in the transmission far (deep) enough.  Should the outer piece (shield) that goes around the drive shaft spline' go all the way into the transmission and touch the area where the real seal is?  I still have about an inch to go before it would touch the gear box seal area but I don't want to force it all the way down in there. Any ideas?

Edited by Mayolives