Jump to content
HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went ahead and Armor All-ed the interior a bit yesterday.  Sure woke things up.  I went ahead and ordered the carpeted cover for the dash, and will copy how my dad did it years ago with 2-3 hooks made out of bailing wite to hold in place on the defrost vetns.

 

Also will need to do some more painting of the red surfaces, as both sides of the tranny tunnel really need it.  Also will need to get a can of SEM in black this time as the console in the ashtray area is REALLY bleached out.

 

Door panels, some work on the door weatherstripping so the door will close flush, and I think I MAY be able to move forward on the body work and under the engine compartment.  The engine compartment still has several items that need to be attended to.

 

dash 2.jpg

dash1.jpg

Edited by A to Z
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12-1-2021 UPDATE: I reapaired the door panel edges tonight. After I cleaned them up, I began a careful inspection. The area(s) where they were turning up, the wood had "dissolved" into a dry but mushy mess. I cut thin strips of sheet metal and glued them from the strong and straight areas to the end which is so far holding and made them straight. The pics make it look like a poor reapir job but nevertheless it worked. Next, I will mask off the chrome trim, wipe down with denatured alcohol, and paint. The top edge where forearms rest is so stained, that even after heavy scrubbing and cleaning, has a darker sheen.  I should have just fiberglassed the corners, but I am impatient. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12-2-2021 update: Ok, so the door panels were ready to get finished up and installed I can install teh driver's door yet, as the latch isn't working, so whent he panel is fjoinsihed it will be kept int eh trunk until I can get the door closing correctly.. After taping off the chrome strip I wiped them down with the denatured alcohol and shot both of them. I then went ahead, and masked off, wiped down again with denatured alcohol, and painted both sides of the trans tunnel. Once the SEM Landau Black comes in, I will be able to mask off and prep the console and a couple other bits and get it all wrapped up. Here are a few pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12-5-2021 UPDATE: Well, the interior SEM Landau Black paint came in, so I went ahead and prepped the console and lower inner rocker upholstery for a coat of paint. I also gave both arm rests a coat. I then went ahead and put my speaker pods and speakers together. Once I get the quick connects for the wiring that will be done. Oh....I went ahead and cleaned up the jack and chock blocks. The chock blocks, I just rubbed out with some Turtle Wax Scratch and swirl remover, the jack was in good shape except one end was rusty....so I wire wheeled that and touched it up with some silver paint. The tool bag is amazingly nice....cleaned it up and it is ready to go in, just have to clean up the boxes. I then mounted my fire extinguisher on the floor in front of the passenger seat, and took a few mintues and cleaned up the spare tire hold down hardware. It started getting cold and windy so I called it a day. Here are some pics to go with coffee. Happy Holidays!

 

 

 

Fresh paint!

1.jpg

Edited by A to Z
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12-9-2021 UDATE: Went ahead and started on the tail of the car...or rather went back to it. Previously, I had painted back there, but it was awful, so I had to sand and grind off a lot of built up paint with runs etc. I started of course with the back bumper, the side bolt on the passenger (right) side is hard to get to until you take off the rock guard in the wheel well. However, the bolts on both sides snapped off. I was able to get the rest of the bolts off and pull it off. HEAVY rust inside the bumper. I was able to wire wheel it out and then I sprayed it down with the Loctitle rust converter I always use. I then removed the brackets cleaned them up and painted them satin black. I got the whole tail area sanded down but I have 3 areas I am still having to work. I am using glaze compound,and a flexible spreader to apply, and then using my dura blocks with 150 grit paper to get to level. One of the sides is around the gas door, I did repeated block sanding today, but required some more glaze. so I went ahead and put more on all three areas to harden up and then block again. Here are some pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by A to Z
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...