HybridZ

250 GTO in land of oz.

Thought you guys might be interested in my GTO project. I started by building a chrome-molly tube chassis to scca gt3 rules. 2400mm wheelbase same as the SWB Ferrari. I used a c4 corvette donor for the suspension, dressed it up and powder coated everything. All floor panels and firewall are .040 titanium. Wheel tubs, dash and shifter cover are real carbon fiber. Engine is a race prepped 355 inch sbc with all the good parts. Transmission is a magnesium Tex racing dog box with rem finished straight cut gears. 3 disc clutch and mag bell housing are Tilton. Shocks are top of the line Afco double adjustable with the rears inboard mounted. The body is a Mcburnie, I stretched the front fenders 3.7 inches to match the original GTO. Wheels are 2000 corvette N73 magnesium option. The finished car will come in just under 2000 pounds and have about 480 hp, top end will be around 186. I am nearly finished now and working on the paint. I can hardly wait to drive it , it should be a lot of fun.

House rais'n 023.jpg

DSC00610.JPG

DSC00632.JPG

20181102_101727.jpg

20190831_125316.jpg

20190831_125359.jpg

DSC00859.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very nice and I'm sure it has taken a TON of time, work and dollars to get to this point. I've never seen a GTO in person and I've always liked the look. It's kind off understated. Will you be road racing this car? Have you thought about what "looks like" a lack of down force from the front end? You have lots of HP and lots of top end to deal with. 

I plan to drive this car at some HPDE events and local club events but not on a professional level. Yes I am concerned about front end lift. The car has about 1 inch of rake and a large air dam in front of the radiator that should help keep air out from under the car. I sure I will need to make adjustments to fully sort out the car. I have a few more braces to add for the fenders and some belly pans for aero. The car is pretty smooth underneath except for the exhaust. I will post a driving video as soon as I get the car tagged.

• Like 1