HybridZ

V8 swapped diffs

moparmans

Hi I have a 280zx with a tpi 350 installed 700r4 with all the strong equipment.But of course my weak link is the diff.Took it out and yes was pounding it and boom diffs done.Now I want to upgrade to something I can't break.I looked at ford 9 inch straight axle but will need to 3 or 4 link and coilover to get right,Dutchman axle make a very nice ford 9 inch independent center section using 934 Porsche ends on the center and I can make proper heavy axles to get out to wheel and then if it breaks we need to make ends heavier some how.Am I over thinking it or is there an easier way.motors like 500 horse maybe 400 lbs ft.So not nuts but turned diff into filings.Thanks 

Some 280ZX's come with an R180.  It's the smaller weaker diff.  Might be the one you had and that's why it disintegrated.  The R200's are pretty tough.

But if you really want something stronger, the answer is in the forum you posted in.

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/128217-ford-super-88-irs-swap-thread-rear-brakes-too/

Yes, it would be useful to know what differential you had that failed.  Would also be useful to know what your budget is for the upgrade.  What's the rest of your setup (e.g. transmission, wheel/tire combo, etc)?  And would also be useful to know what's the application going to be (i.e. intended usage)?

You will also find that the outer stub axles are prone to breakage under continued hard use (oftentimes even before the differential itself fails), so include that consideration in your upgrade planning as well.