HybridZ

Steering Wheel Hub Installation

mikeatrpi

I put a Momo 3503 adapter and momo wheel on my 280zx, but like a dunce, its crooked so I need to take it off and start over!

Upon removal, the split washer had clearly carved metal out of the adapter - and the nut was also marred.  It also appears that everything is too thick; the nut does not seat all the way past the threads.  What am I doing wrong here?  

Further analysis shows that the damage to the metal happens when the nut is removed.  That's probably how the split washer works.  

I've got it as straight as I can; any more and I'll need to adjust my alignment.  Its between two splines on the threads.

Can't tell from your second post if it's fully sorted; but it's not at all unusual for the split washer to dig into the metal on the steering wheel hub.  Don't overtighten it -- follow the recommended torque spec.  

Do you have sufficient thread engagement on the nut?  If not, consider swapping the thick split washer for a thinner style lock washer...that should easily add at least a couple threads' worth of additional engagement.

Alignment:  if you're not happy with the centering of the steering wheel, you don't necessarily need a full front-end alignment.  Just decide which direction you want to adjust the wheel to, and adjust the tie rod ends in equal amounts on both sides until you're happy with the steering wheel centering (it will only take a very small adjustment of the tie rod ends....recommend starting with a quarter turn each).  Hope this helps.