HybridZ

Fresh air / inner fender wire duct

I have a 1976 280z. Bought it as a shell and I am redoing everything. Under the dash, in the upper kick panel area on both sides it appears there are round openings that have been tack welded or riveted and sealed shut.  

20221127_105227.jpg.b77990cfdc5d35005b91db42480fe1ff.jpg

I also have openings to passageways in both inner fenders up by the core support. I ran some fish tape down the passageways and I'm wondering if they connect to these openings that are blocked off. It seemed like they would connect. I would love to potentially use these to run wires through for a cleaner look.  

20221127_104724.jpg.5d89d0864280701e620b684e145d6bb6.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on this? Maybe these were fresh air intakes? If so, how were they controlled? Are the block off plates factory or added by a previous owner? If I open them up, will I get a large amount of air coming in while driving at speed?

Thanks

Edited by fusion

I'm not near my car right now and don't remember the footwell area well enough to 100% confirm that's the correct spot, but I believe you're correct. The oblong holes in the engine bay are fed by ducts like these:

https://www.thezstore.com/product/5706/reproduction-fresh-air-duct-kit-70-73-240z

They take air from the round holes on the core support and feed those ducts. Then there would be a round knob at the bottom of the dash to control a flapper on the blocked off round holes in the interior. That mechanism looks like this:

https://www.autopartone.com/products/72-73-datsun-240z-oem-climate-control-fresh-air-vent-switch-right

I had been planning on doing the same thing, and I think others have run wires that way in the past. 

• 1 month later...