HybridZ

76 280z microsquirt project

darom

Hi guys,

I will be working on installing microsquirt v3 in my California edition '76 280z stock car which came with EGR/catalytic converter and an exhaust manifold. The car runs fine with the exception of typical lean conditions which gets resolved with a potentiometer pot.

The plan is to do it in 2 stages:

Stage 1 (getting "my feet wet" with learning to tune the car with TS):

Milkfab's 36-1 wheel (crank pulley mounted)

Microsquirt v3 + IAC stepper adapter

LM7 truck ignition coils

Pro Tunerz fuel rail (14mm) intake/throttle body/GM ICV

14point7 spartan 3 v2 wb

keeping stock exhaust + LSU 4.9

high impedance injectors

Stage 2

Headers + Turbo upgrade

In my infinite wisdom I figured I would kill both birds, aka project stages, with one stone - and purchased the Bosch 440cc 'green giants' injectors EV1 (part 0280155968), length 65 mm, Long style. Flow: 43,5 PSI (3 bar) 430cc / min = 41 lb / h. My assumption was to use them on a stock engine, get a turbo installed later, and re-use them. I got a great deal on them and they are authentic Bosch.

After reading the mega manual, now I am concerned about the idle pulse width issues and fighting over enrichment conditions running a stock L6 engine. I spent a lot of time going through this forum looking for anyone running similar injectors on an n/a engine and found that in almost all cases guys are running turbo engines with large injectors (supra injectors are popular).

The stock engine needs 15 lbs/hr or 158cc injectors. Obviously the 440cc ones I got are a major overkill.

Am I over stressing over the issue? Will i be able to tune these injectors for the time being?

Or I should keep on looking for 190-200cc injectors on Stan Weiss's site at http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm ? I found a few leads by cross referencing the part numbers and what rockauto has in stock. A lot of GB reman and BWD ones.

Do you have any recommendations? I'd like to keep 14mm/14mm top/base long, high impedance injectors, preferably Bosch.

Thanks!

Den

Edited by darom
  • Like 1

Since you will have made the effort of a fuel rail and use high impedance injectors why not go to a pick n pull salvage yard and buy some cheap used Bosch that are a bit smaller . Can’t tell you if 440cc will work or not . I run them in my 3.2 NA but I have 230 rwhp . I think before these I was running 36lb VW injectors . I moved the 36 lbs ones to my 720 truck that probably has 115 hp at the rear wheels - no issues 

Thanks, madkaw. I might be able to squeeze by with these injectors. I will test them. If they run too rich, I will start looking for a set of cheap smaller injectors.

I need to start documenting the progress otherwise I just procrastinate.

Last week-end I made the coil bracket out of 2 chevy truck ones (came off LM7 truck), they overlapped nicely to get an idea where to cut/weld together. Fit mock-up, I might need to move it to the right side to align spark plugs better:

image.png.43e64140a38335ca278f546e8a21c4a8.png

image.png.6e9cb69783b0b3587164c52e9a04d53c.png

The coils will be grounded to the bracket to the welded bolt behind, the bracket is bolted on the right side to the cylinder head (black wire, ground to engine block). The coil bank connector will be attached to the same location as where Chevy put it originally (left side, there is a clip between coil 5 and 4).

The 1st cylinder's spark plug is too close to the coil, will have to lift the bracket up by 1-1.5 inches to make the spark plug wire fit. I ordered a set of spark plug wires to play around with:

image.png.8ab13adabf319d151375c40e9e954255.png

And a simple visio wiring diagram for the coil plugs:

image.png.287cf98f46a141bdbc356575729caf70.png

Edited by darom
  • Like 1