HybridZ

MS2-v3.57 AFR, FE, IGN table check

Jersey

Hi all. I just finished installing an MS2 v3.57 from Godzilla Raceworks and will be installing the Delta reground cam tonight. I'm hoping once I get the wipe patterns correct and get it all back together, I can get it up and running to about 2k rpm as quickly as possible to properly break in the cam/mate the rockers. The motor is in solid condition and ran well before I started the MS install, other than being pig rich and dangerously lean with the stock ECU. I'm hoping someone could take a look at my config and the AFR, VE and Ignition tables I've added to the base tune GR sent to make sure I'm in the ballpark. I left all of the other GR base settings alone, just these 3 tables seemed to be set way rich and very conservative, which I'm sure is the safest option on their behalf.

Any and all suggestions are more than welcome. MS is all new to me so please no flames! ha. Thanks in advance.

’83 L28ET Turbo motor

MegaSquirt MS2 v3.57

F54 block

P90A Head w/hydraulic lifters

Ported N42 Intake

2mm Metal head gasket

JE Forged Pistons

T3/T4, 50trim E wheel, .63 Stage III clipped

Bosch EV6 440cc Injectors - NEW

60mm 240sx Throttle Body

Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump

SS 3/8” Fuel Supply Line

Pallnet Fuel Rail - NEW

Aeromotive FPR - NEW

AEM Wideband O2 - NEW

NPR Intercooler

Allstar 40,000v High Performance Ignition Coil - NEW

Electronic Boost Control - NEW, but not enabling yet

Greddy BOV

Custom DP w/3” Exhaust

Dual Perma-Cool Electric Fans

image.jpeg.207d69cb2cf3b7a9ebd5e9edee0c2658.jpeg

image.jpeg.aab775b364b90a4e7081d2918cbf45c4.jpeg

• Like 1

Morning all,

Please don't take this as I'm complaining, I'm just curious if I posted something out of line? Maybe my setup or settings are so far out of whack that nobody wants to comment on or possibly this subject has just beat to death? Granted, I haven't visited this site much in several years since my Z's been laid up so maybe members aren't as active as they used to be when I joined over 20 years ago? :confused:

If you'd rather not comment publicly, please feel free to PM me.

Thx - Jersey

Ok, thanks. Whew, thought I wrote something that offended or against new rules or something. Yes, Moby's posts were some of the first few thousand on MS setup I read before talking my cousin into MS'ing his 77. And I've also read a bunch of your posts, the most recent in helping Flak280z back in April with his setup. Your help and replies are much appreciated. It's just that a lot of the posts and stickies are from 10-15-20 years ago and there's a whole bunch of different setups so, I just wanted to see if someone could comment on the tables I've set up for this build before the 1st start to make sure I'm not way out of line. Granted, every motor is different, and tunes will need to be tweaked even if builds are exactly the same, which I understand. Anyway, thanks for the reply and enjoy the long weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, you need to set the ignition accurately. There should be a mark on your crankshaft pulley for setting the ignition. Use a stroboscope. The ignition angle specified in ms should match the actual crankshaft angle. This is very important, otherwise your ignition table will show the weather on Mars. You also need to think about detonation control, otherwise the pistons will be consumables. If you do not have detonation, you will not break the engine.

Nothing looks too crazy. I would back off your timing a little . I'm a NA guy so over 100 KPA im lost . 

Since its a GR tune -you'll probably close > Lot's of other settings in MS have to be right also. First start is always nerve racking.

Where in NJ?  

Thanks awd, madkaw. 1st start went great last week. She fired up instantly and ran it @ 1500-2000prm for about 20 minutes to break in the cam. Since then, made a few changes to the VE, AE, WUE settings and also ditched the unstable manual BC & enabled the EBC. Ran some data logs and it stays close to the AFR table I've set up, boosting to 15psi. Still a bunch of tuning to do but so far, it seems ok and pulls pretty dang hard without any detonation that I can hear.

True madkaw, it was nerve racking. I did need to make a bunch of changes to the GR tune before 1st start or, it really had no chance at starting. GR had all my motor specs and purchased all the MS components through them, but it almost seems like they left most, if not all of the settings they had for their test motor as the current tune. No big deal since I figured it all out before I turned the key but, worth mentioning if someone else goes down this road. Their assembled unit and wiring harness are very nice which made the install pretty painless.

I also converted from hydro lifters to solid during the MS install and need to do a quick write-up on that at some point. After installing the time-serts and solids, cranked it a bunch without the rockers and the lifter oil ports on the P90A head were moving a lot of oil past the smaller headed solid lifters. Found some copper metric washers to use which sealed the small oil ports almost completely. With the amount of oil getting past the lifters at cranking speed, I wasn't comfortable leaving it like that since I'm sure there would be a lot more blowby at higher RPM's, possibly starving the crank bearings, cam & bearings, etc. Also picked up some .160 lash pads which put the wipe pattern perfect with the Delta regrind. A little to the lifter side which creates a little more lift, which is good.

North-eastern NJ, Morris county madkaw.

Thanks for the replies guys. Now I need to find a Dyno and a tuner in NJ that knows MS because I'm sure I'm leaving a lot on the table since this is the 1st time I'm ever tuning, especially in the ignition table dept. If anyone knows of someone they trust in my area, please let me know.

Edited by Jersey
  • Like 1

if it started that well you are doing well 

You should make some home maid detonation cans to listen for knock . Not sure if you have a knock sensor . It’s pretty amazing how well you can pick up detonation with your ears . 
Heading to NY, NJ next week .