HybridZ

finally bought my hybrid turbo

scottyMIz

i saw it on ebay and just decided go for it and i bought it on the buy it now option it's a t3/t4e hybrid I can't wait for it to get here and get put on the beast.The body kit should be coming soon too man my car will be hooked up this year.Timz when do you plan to have your z going so i can get the stuff from you to get mine going?You still have to give me a price on the flywheel.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks jeff i can't wait to get them.I plan to run stock boost at first (break in)and then give her like 15 to 18 to start with and see what she will do.i guess it'll handle like 20 or higher.But i doubt i'll get that high i'll prolly kill the bottom end.

Originally posted by scottyMiz:

umm i don't know much about turbos but it says 70 on the compressor side.How much of a spacer will i need?

OMG that's huge. Your going to have a lot of Lag. I'm assuming about an 1" I can have you try mine and if it works you can buy it off of me for the amount I paid for it.

Scotty - I'm going to differ on this one and say you should have NO lag issues with the turbo - if you still have the T3 turbine it should spool like stock (just like my TO4B and Shane's TO4E). However if you have to space the big TO4E wheel out from the stock manifold, your downpipe will no longer fit.

Originally posted by scottyMiz:

well ron i already bought this one so i'll try it and see how it goes if it isn't what i want i'll take you up on your offer how much you looking to get out of it?

Scotty... I was taking about the spacer and not the turbo. Let me know if you want to try it? BTW it's 1" thick.

Originally posted by SleeperZ:

Scotty - I'm going to differ on this one and say you should have NO lag issues with the turbo - if you still have the T3 turbine it should spool like stock (just like my TO4B and Shane's TO4E). However if you have to space the big TO4E wheel out from the stock manifold, your downpipe will no longer fit.

So no lag huh. Yes having a T3 help out a lot because most of the lag comes from the hotside of the turbo. .70 trim (cold side) sounds a little big to have NO lag. Will have to wait for Scotty's results.

Congratulations Scotty. How much boost are you going to try and run on the new motor? By the way your goodies left today, I'll call tomorrow to get a status. I would think they should get there in a week or so.

oh ok ron you scared me :eek: for a minuate ya i'm interested in the spacer i wanna see how much i need first so what do you want for the spacer?This kinda turned into a debate ;) ya we will find out how it goes i might have a new dp made so i might have a dp for sale i'll have to see i'd like to keep it 3" all the way back but 2.5 is fine too here is a link to the ebay auction so you guys can see for your selves. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1821729587 Let me know what you think he hasn't gotten back to me yet about sending it but he better soon.

Scotty, he makes no mention of what trim the compressor is, just an A/R, but with that tiny hot side A/R you will spool like the devil and possibly choke down on the top end. The stock T3 has a .63 A/R and is well matched to a stock L28ET. BTW, "lag" means different things to different people - a big compressor will give you "lag" if it doesn't get you full boost by the same time the stock one did - the turbo will be spooled, you just may not have as much boost at the spooled rpm. (Just MHO)

I went to the ebay link and it does say compressor A/R = .7 I don't know if he's talking about the housing only or both wheel and housing. You can use a .7 or .70 housing with a smaller wheel. With a .48 on the hotside, that's not big so I think you'll have very little lag but think boost will drop off at higher RPM.

well i guess if it isn't what i want then i'll sell it i guess.I just want to be done with looking and buying a turbo for the beast i'm stupid when it comes to turbos and everytime i ask someone they say go to this site or go to that site and it's all greek to me.Then after i ask the guy he gives me some crazy price that is way too much or isn't what i want. :mad: I'm getting so frustrated and poorer by the day can't afford to keep buying turbos or other things.But thanks for the help guys what do you think my hp will be with my set up and this new turbo?I planned to swap exhaust housings so it'll fit my manifold so i might even change the turbine in the exhaust side too i dunno yet i'll see when i get it.I just need help not a it's your choice thing cuz i don't know.Please help please smile.gif

Scotty - The guy I know who runs a TO4E in his 240Z ran low 12's to high 11's up here at 5800' elevation. That should be close to 400hp at the crank. Unfortunately his shop (TEC) will not disclose the specs on it - trade secrets you know...If you have a good IC and fuel system, you may be able to hit that with the TO4E you have provided you can attach your old exhaust housing. When I bought my turbo (from JCR), I had no idea what I was buying - it worked well and I was glad it just bolted up - no spacers or serious intake mods. Since then I have taken it apart and measured it; it is a TO4B super V trim, with a stock exhaust housing and I love it. I've looked up the flow maps and this sucker gives 73% efficiency from 10 psi to 22 psi on the L28ET. No wonder it flies so well up the mountains!

Good luck whatever you decide to do - learning about this stuff is 1/3 of the fun (driving it is 2/3 ;) )

Thanks sleeper and ron for the help he sent it out yesterday(was suppose to)and i'll see soon enuf i better get my butt going and get working on the car i have so many things to do to it.Anyone know the site that has the adapters for the cv shafts?I think it was ross's site but i'm not sure.

Guest Anonymous

ooooooh....

....you've been a very busy boy....(i'm glad i dont have to pay for all the tires that are going to get burnt up on this thing)......its getting really,really close to quaife time scotty....

....schmaydee

Guest Anonymous

Scotty,

Way to go on the turbo, I can't wait to see how it performs for you. Personally I think those A/R specs aught to work out good- definitely fast spool up, and you should be able to keep power up into the later rpms, 300 at the wheels is relatively easy with a t3/t04e from what I hear (read my post from a while back). It would be highly within your interest to find out the compressor trim, if you get the turbo you can just measure the inducer/exducer and trim size, inlet/outlet and whatnot to find out what trim, but I would imagine the seller knows that the trim is. Then, you can grab a comp. map from a site like this (other useful tools too):

turbofast

and can figure airflow here (Plot VE err to low side to be realistic)

http://www.smokemup.com/utilities/calc/airflow.cfm

So I assume you're running an intercooler, if so what one?

If you can make 500 cfm you could have about 350 bhp.. near 300 at the wheels.

You definitely want to plot out your compressor efficiencies at flow (rpm) vs boost, so you don't run inefficient. Of course, you can trial tune it, but for your own sake, you can set yourself on the right track with simple mathematics.

This isn't gospel, but I did make a simple excel chart-plot of flow/boost and all that for my own use, using flow calculations from the Smokemup site ^^^^up there. This would be the max flow, I doubt a mostly stock l28 could flow more than 40 lbs/min (if I'm correct 13.2 cubic feet of air weighs about 1 lb., I read that in sds tech.. 40 lbs/min would be about 530 cfm.. ), anyway here's the chart:

BOOST.xls

Speaking of engine VE.. has anyone tried calculating their VE from a mostly Stock l28et? Say, stock cam, valve-job, perhaps minor home-porting, bigger throttle body, and also a compressor running at an efficient rate. Without royalties like DOHC 16-valve as modern turbo motors have, sometimes I wonder. Of course, I'll test my own setup once its done, but being that the theoretical airflow for reaching 300 rwhp is quite high, I usually run 85-90% throughout the mid/upper rpms. Anyone back me up here?

Sorry to blotter your post with technical hoo-hockey, Scotty.. just thought I'd chime in. Good luck with your turbo, I'd really like to know how that turbo performs at 20 psi boost on a L28et

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest super280z

uhh, actually with a t-3/04e in .48 a/r you should have no problems with lag whatsoever. that is probably the exact turbo i would spec if i were doing this myself. those suckers are absolute monsters in airflow in anything over 15# boost. there's a guy i know of running high 9's in a boosted neon with a pretty closely spec'd t3/04. tear it up scottie!!

Thanks mak i need to learn moe cuz most i didn't understand bonk.gif But alot i did i am just learning slow.Once i get it and get it on i'll see for myself what it'll do i can't wait to get it on there and running.There is this kid i smoked like three times(the mustang kid in daddy's car)that keeps going by revving his engine and then taking off fast i just want to go out and beat him again but really bad this time. malebitchslap.gif