HybridZ

Pics of ported manifold

Cody 82 ZXT

Heres a couple of pics. of my exhaust manifold that I ported the other day. I spent quite awhile working on it. The pictures really don't seem to tell the whole story here but, I removed a ton of metal from the outlet mostly. The outlet into the turbo was much smaller than the inlet of the turbo itself so I gasket matched that and cleaned up the runners.

screen

screen

screen

For the guys that have done this before do you think I should remove more metal from the runners?

Nice work and good pictures. I took some of mine but had the lighting wrong to show inside. My manifold is done similarly - I too am wondering how much material can be taken off the Bumps inside the runners, especially cylinder #2 and #4 positions. I concentrated on "streamlining" these areas rather than massive metal removal.

Lotso iron was removed - I think I picked up about 1 sec. fron weight savings. :D J/K but there was an really impressive pile of filings left.

Cody that looks nice to me. I have got to get working on mine too. I would be careful with the humps in the runners. If you take to much out there, you could end up with a crack, and that would tend to suck.

Most of the people I have heard talk about hogging out the exhaust manifold have removed alot of material where you did.

That is about the size of it. I used the 1/2" spacre on my setup to move the compressor housing away from the exhaust manifold and installed an aluminum shield ovet the compressor also. The spacer I used was cut out very nicely so I bolted it to the manifold and went to work. then I bolted the spacer to the turbo inlet and port matched that side also, and smoothed the turbo inlet. I did remove some of the material from each inlet on the head side of the manifold and made them about the width of a sanding roll. You can remove some of the material, but you need to be careful not to make the sides to thin. I took it to where I thought it flowed better, but not so much I thought I would get a crack.

I too am using a 1/2" spacer to give enough clearance for the T04E compressor housing I'm using.

My next question was going to be:

The opening in the spacer (It's a T3 Flange from Turbonetics)is about 1/8" wider than either the manifold flange or turbine inlet openings, and about the same height. Jeffp, are you saying I should port out both pieces to match the spacer opening? :confused: Seems like a big amount of material to remove.I noticed turbonetics' nice steel turbine inlet gaskets do match the larger opening of the flange....

Rick, I just removed enough material to match the factory gasket. I had to remove almost 1/4" of material from the outlet. My turbine inlet was the same as the factory gasket but, the mainfold was much smaller nono.gif . I'm begining to wonder if the cars that came with an automatic had a smaller opening than the cars that can with standard in them. I've seen several manifolds and some of them seem to have different sizes of outlets.

Has anyone ever thought of selling ported stock mainifolds? ;)

I did the same thing awhile ago, even open up as Jeff mentioned to butt match turbo. smile.gif But this time I sent mine on out. Just to make sure it gets the opened up flow even better. What's being done is... He welds more material then ports to have uniform thickness through out the exhaust manifold. From what I understand, you have got to be careful of thinning out some areas.

It is fun porting, I must admit :D

Donna

i plan to do mine this winter when i put the car away.I'm glad cody got pics and stuff it'll help me alot when i do mine.I didn't use a spacer on my t4e hybrid.I wanted to keep use of the nice dp i bought from scottie so i ground out enuf material so it would fit with out touching and then put header wrap between the two pieces and it seems to work great so far.I might take more out this winter but it all depends how much space i can get when i index the turbo for the new ic i'm getting from timz.His turbo is pointing down i think and mine is pointing out twords the fender, I figure if i turn it it'll put the smallest part of the compressor by the manifold.

Originally posted by Cody 82 ZXT:

My turbine inlet was the same as the factory gasket but, the mainfold was much smaller

Cody,my manifold and turbine housing have the same size openings that match the stock gasket.

I'll be making another pile of filings making both openings the same size as the spacer and Turbonetics gaskets.

Donna, yes, lotso fun. :D