Guest Anonymous

ok so i hear that the first of the turbos have a N42 head

im thinking of using a flat top piston with a P90 head on my turbo car

if i use the stock head gasket its about 8.5;1

if i use the 2mm sk its about 8;1

the N42 turbo was about 8.25;1

feed back?

ever try?

touchy subject there ;) I say go with P90 if you all ready have the head ready because that's what the Nissan intended. They didn't make a new head just to waste money on development. N42 probably work but why use an older head with higher compression for a turbo motor? I can understand if you only have a N42 head. Do what you want because this subject will never be solved since I know there are ppl here who prefers N series head over P series head and also there are ppl who believe P series head is the best all around. I believe P series head is superior because it just doesn't make since for Nissan to make a new head that didn't out flow the older head. But still I'm running E88 with large valves in my 78 N/A. :D

Originally posted by Z Speed auto:

ok so i hear that the first of the turbos have a N42 head

im thinking of using a flat top piston with a P90 head on my turbo car

if i use the stock head gasket its about 8.5;1

if i use the 2mm sk its about 8;1

the N42 turbo was about 8.25;1

feed back?

ever try?

I've not heard this about the N42. My understanding is '81 was the first year for the turbo motor, and they used an F54 block and P90 head. Some of the N/A zxs of earlier years used the N47 head, but I've never heard a N42 head used on a factory turbo.

That said, 8:1 to 8.5:1 compression ratio is not that big a deal for a turbo setup. You can easily run factory boost level with no intercooler, or a bit higher with an intercooler.

I will let you know in a few weeks when my car starts up and I get the SDS tuned up. I am running a N42 block and head with turbo pistons and stock head gasket. My reason for not going to the P90 is the fact that A: I couldnt find one that I could afford, and B: My machinist had a N42 head sitting in the shop ready to go :D:D:D The car the turbo pistons came out of had the P90 robbed off of it already by some other smart minded Z'er before I got to it. Another reason, kind of something I thought of afterwards was the idea that off boost driveablity and a little better gas milage may be gained when my foots not in it :D I post again about how it runs and such in a few weeks. Later!

~Kenny

right now i am in the middle of a turbo conversion on an N42, mostly because i could not find an l28et that i liked and secondly i just overhauled the one in my 76 z. i just got all of the turbo parts together and im starting to assemble it. i got a set of 440cc injectors and will soon be getting the SDS. also im getting an intercooler soon to run a lot more boost and i will be backing this with the turbo 5 speed tranny. hopefully it will all work out or i will blow it up and get the 2JZ. i will let you know how it goes though