HybridZ

Turbo Interchangability (? word ?)

dat240zg

Guys:

Is there a turbo that can be bolted up to the stock manifold on the l-28t with a minimal amount of work that is better (more efficient, etc.) than the stock t-3?

The junkyard motor is going in the 240 this weekend and when I was looking it over more closely and noticed alot more play than will be acceptable.

Any thoughts?

Bryan

No - no factory turbo is an upgrade for the ZX, with the exception of the factory GN turbo. It's still a T3 though. I know people who get a GN wheel grafted into a ZX T3, the benefit being a moderate compressor upgrade in the T3 housing, which means no J-pipe modification.

IMHO, if you go to the trouble of a turbo swap, and you can handle a small amount of modification and fabrication, nothing beats the T3/TO4 hybrid. It bolts to the stock exhaust, and connects to the intake and wastegate with minor modification. Huge performance increases are possible.

The GN one won't bolt up either, it has a 3 bolt triangular flange.

The hybrid is the best way to go for ease of installation versus power output. The E trim is a little more efficient at higher boost levels, the B is better at lower one's. A V trim B or a 50 trim E would be good places to start. Get the stage III turbine wheel with a .63 ar housing. You can use your nissan turbine housing and have the turbo upgraded if you would like.

Guest Anonymous

This just reminded me of something I was trying to research the other day. Is the t04 stock on anything? (Truck, whatever) or is it strictly an aftermarket piece?

Originally posted by TempeZ:

This just reminded me of something I was trying to research the other day. Is the t04 stock on anything? (Truck, whatever) or is it strictly an aftermarket piece?

I'm sure there is a truck application using a TO4, but the turbine housing wil be too big for the manifold and slow to spool. By no means is this a bolt-on affair, and it may not boost your performance.

BTW, the 300zx will bolt on with a wastegate housing swap, and it has water cooling, but it is the same turbo as the 280zx performance-wise.

Sorry, guess I meant to say is there a factory application that would bolt up with minor mods.....

The thing that got me questioning was that I was looking for a turbo rebuild kit and noticed that Mitsubishi produced some of the t-3's and t-4's (or at least according to the info on the site). If that was the case then I thought that maybe one of the factory apps may work?

No Luck?

Bryan

Originally posted by dat240zg:

Thanks guys. I guess the hybrid is for me! Now, if I can just get someone to buy that other kidney..... smile.gif

Seriously, thanks SleeperZ. Is Turbonetics a good place to start shopping?

My hybrid is a T3/TO4B with a V trim, either built by Turbonetics or assembled with parts sourced through them (I bought it through Jim Cook Racing). I paid a little too much for it, and I've not heard rave reviews about Turbonetics, but I've no complaints about the reliability or the performance (been running the same turbo for 5 years now - no problems).