A to Z Posted August 24 Author Share Posted August 24 08-23-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE. Today was another tough one. 4+ hours in getting the clutch master cylinder rod screwed in to the custom clevis on the pedal arm and then everything bolted back up, adjusted and set up. VERY hard for me to get in there, and I am old, so it is a ball breaker. I knew it would be and put it off for months, today I did it. I managed to get the trim piece I mentioned yesterday painted silver and then after the clutch, I tackled the next issue. I don't know how, but there is no bar from the brake pedal arm to the switch so the brake lights will come on and go off. So, I simply took some sheet metal, bent and hammered a 90 and then with a sharpie and my angle grinder cut and formed a piece that I am bolting to he brake arm, that will stick out and push the brake light switch closed when the pedal is released. I drilled 2 holes through the arm and this sheet metal bracket It's hanging up painted and will be install with 2 1/4X20 bolts and nuts. After it was done it was time to relax a bit with a couple Coors and look around, I taped one of my atlas emblems to the front corner of the hood. I don't know If I will use it there or not, I can either paint it flat black to contrast on the gloss powder coat, paint it datsun metallic blue like the engine compartment, or I don't know, any ideas? 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted August 25 Author Share Posted August 25 08-25-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: I had a few minutes this morning, so I went ahead and prepped my new front brake calipers, by mounting the brake pads in and getting them ready for install. I got the calipers and pads from Z Car Depot. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted August 30 Author Share Posted August 30 09-29-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: I mounted the plate I made to cover the hole on the side of the head with some stainless bolts I got, then I mounted up both front brake calipers, tied in the brake lines and zip tied the excess up. Then I went ahead and pulled the TC rods out, cleaned them up and painted them with some rustoleum gloss black, and wire wheeled up the washer plates and installed my new Urethane bushings. I normally would have gone with rubber, but the polys were half the price, so I will use them. While under there, I pulled out the cut off pieces that were the original sway bar end links, and installed the new ones I have had waiting. They are all rubber. Then I moved on to the drive shaft. Because of my trans layout, the factory e~brake tube going across the tunnel had to be cut out. This is fine, as the way I use the car I don't need it, and I can leave it in gear when parked. I suppose at a later date I could fashion up a cable to what is left on there to tie it back in.....I left a piece of the pipe about 1/2 long sticking out for just that. I then mounted up the drive shaft and got the bolts cinched down correctly. Then the problematic part of the day, the end links on the steering rack. Well they just didn't want to come off! It is obvious they haven't ever been adjusted, so I got one off and the other is soaking in PB Blaster! I have the end links I got from Z Car Depot ready to go, they are from MOOG. While under the car, I looked up and saw a world of polished piping so I took a pic! :D PICS: 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted August 31 Author Share Posted August 31 08-30-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: Started the day with putting some cut leather on the upholstery sections that needed to be covered. Amazing my new seat covers, have managed to have a worn spot....but it's all better now. Working in tight quarters these things happen.:) Then I went ahead and bolted the seats down in then vacuumed it all up and installed the hidden toggle switch to turn on so the car will start, my theft deterrent, and wired in the brake light switch....just running the wires over to the passenger footwell.... labeled, so I can start on that soon. I finally managed to get the last piece of the end links on the steering rack off, and then wire wheeled them down really clean, and used anti-seize and installed the Moog end links for now...I will have to adjust when I am ready to align the front wheels, but for now, a lot of progress made! The whole car is about 75% done already and it's only been a year! PICS: 2 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted September 6 Author Share Posted September 6 09-05-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: Today was a light day for the car, with a few odds and ends, and getting ready to re-install the electric "panelboard" and begin tying all the wires in. Poured the antifreeze into the engine, I decided to use the DEX COOL as recommended by GM for their engines....A.I. also states it is better than regular old green antifreeze, so I went that route. I painted the cap on the radiator and put a Z sticker I had made for it, began the touch up on the hood, which....once hard, will be sanded with 2000 grit and polished smooth. I painted a couple Atlas Z brackets I had made earlier, and will install them in a day or so, and the last piece I needed for the panelboard, the batt power tie in arrived. Hopefully, I will separate the wires and begin wiring the car in tomorrow. PICS CompareCar Insurance Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted September 7 Author Share Posted September 7 09-06-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: Ok, so I mounted my electric panel into the car and began wiring it up. The garage is SO HOT. I had to go inside and get a fan to blow in there on me (see pic). going pretty well! about 75% done. PICS 2 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted September 9 Author Share Posted September 9 09-08-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: My rear hatch "glass" (polycarbonate) ordered from Plastics4Performance in England arrived today. As I have mentioned I had them use their template for Ferrari 458 rear window vents. Why? I like the look. Great for flow through ventilation. This is an open air Z anyway. No side windows, and mostly stripped out. I got the 3mm thick one, so thin, and VERY light. It looks cloudy as I haven't peeled off the protective layer of plastic yet. Now, as they told me, some sanding and fitting will be necessary, but I am happy to report it made it across the pond and to my garage! PICS: 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted September 14 Author Share Posted September 14 09-13-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE. Only one pic......just a day of finishing up the wiring, about 90% done. Very time consuming. PIC. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
FastFloridian Posted September 14 Share Posted September 14 On 9/8/2026 at 10:56 PM, A to Z said: 09-08-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: My rear hatch "glass" (polycarbonate) ordered from Plastics4Performance in England arrived today. As I have mentioned I had them use their template for Ferrari 458 rear window vents. Why? I like the look. Great for flow through ventilation. This is an open air Z anyway. No side windows, and mostly stripped out. I got the 3mm thick one, so thin, and VERY light. It looks cloudy as I haven't peeled off the protective layer of plastic yet. Now, as they told me, some sanding and fitting will be necessary, but I am happy to report it made it across the pond and to my garage! PICS: SportsCars Nice, mine just came in too. Not sure why, but you need to remove the plastic. I was going to leave them in the box until I was ready to install, but saw a warning on the box that the plastic protection needed to be removed within 4 weeks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted September 15 Author Share Posted September 15 Oh....I didn't read that. Glad you said something! Did you get yours from the same place? I didn't know you were doing that. That is cool. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted September 15 Author Share Posted September 15 09-14-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: So I managed to get all of the wiring inside the car done today! Located the OBD II port right on the side of the center console, Ran a thick #4 wire to the alternator power. All the little things that just add up and take a long time. I have the cover for the panel, now I can just cut and fab it, and the big remaining part of the build is done. 3 gauge sensor wires in the engine bay need to be lengthened and installed and but the interior portion is done. I will be fashioning a beautification plate to go over the bolts holding the passenger floor down that didn't come out looking right. PICS: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
FastFloridian Posted September 15 Share Posted September 15 7 hours ago, A to Z said: Oh....I didn't read that. Glad you said something! Did you get yours from the same place? I didn't know you were doing that. That is cool. Yep, same place. Thanks for finding them, was wondering where to buy some. Here is the warning label. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted September 20 Author Share Posted September 20 09-19-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: I had to replace the O ring around the thermostat, so I got that fixed and got the antifreeze poured back in. Then I did some preliminary electrical checks. a few little things not quite working, so I have to work my way through connections, but 90% is working!! Charging the battery back up to 100% and will try for a start tomorrow hopefully. Then I worked on installing my rear polycarbonate wear "window". I had to trim here and there, and then by trial and error had to keep playing with it and modding here and there but got in finished. in the pics, you can see the small pieces of rubber I installed as a cushion for the window. I got the rubber from Amazon....I can provide a link if you want, jsut ask. God willing I can get out there tomorrow and do some more. PICS Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted September 21 Author Share Posted September 21 09-20-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: I spent most of the day going around fixing connections and getting lights that weren't working.....working. I managed to get it about 99% done. I then cut up and modified the 16X16X4" deep aluminum cake pan I bought to work as a cover for the electrical, and once fitted, I painted it gloss black and added some clear coats. In the pics the wires behind it can be seen....because I have to zip tie them back up after doing my splice repairs, but it fits well. Lastly I started on the 3 gauge sensors in the engine compartment that need to be lengthened to work. I also tried to start the engine.....have plenty of fuel there, so more tracing of wires to find out what is keeping it from starting. PICS Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted September 28 Author Share Posted September 28 09-27-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: Another day of catching up on small items. I went ahead and set up the front end for to do the alignment maybe next week....then I went to the back of the car, tightened down the bolts for the differential, checked the rear brake adjustment, and then finished wiring in the engine sensors to the gauges. I installed a couple emblems on the hood corner and on the decklid above the lock area. I cut a plate and painted it and fit it over the spot on the passenger floor plate to hide the mounting bolts, I will put an atlas Z emblem on there later. I mounted the fire extinguisher to the driver's side foot plate and set it in there for now, I installed the rubber strips I got to cover the window slot at the top of each door, and as you can se from the pics, they need a bit more work on them to finish that but got the ball rolling. I filled the water methanol tank only to find it has a crack and needs to be replaced, so that is added to the list. I spent yesterday on my 240Z, so today was a day to try and get more little nagging things done. PICS: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted Monday at 03:35 AM Author Share Posted Monday at 03:35 AM 10-04-2026 ATLAS Z UPDATE: Well, I found out the hard way that my water methanol container had a crack in it. I ended up having to get a replacement container and a new braided line from it to the pump. I smothered the thread in pipe dope and assembled it. Then I got the whole deal back together. After that I began the install of a gas vapor filter, I went with the 8 inch long version. Just need some hose and that will be done. I spent the rest of the day on other projects. PICS. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A to Z Posted 3 hours ago Author Share Posted 3 hours ago Added an Atlas Z badge to the cover plate on the passenger foot plate. Funny....it looks crooked in the pic, and but straight in person. (shrug). You can tell the foot plate needs to be cleaned. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.