HybridZ

Need Pic of TILE waste gate

jeffp

I have looked onthe net for one of these units and could not find anything for a web page.

I need to get a look at one of these units as I am going to go with it if I can get it in my car without cutting the whole engine compartment away LOL

anyway if anyone has a pic I would appreciate it.

I will have Sean. My parts are being shipped out sometime this week from back East:)

My wastegate was welded into the manifold after having extensive porting done to it. It's been

welded similar to TimZ and Joel's . Let me ask to make sure it's okay to send you their pics if you can't wait smile.gif

Donna

PS.. If you ever see TimO on the road. Please pass him up good will ya? :D

Luxury.. I forgot! lol

I'd love to see their pics w/ permission of course.

I stopped at TimO's a week or so back. I will be hard pressed to pass him lemme tell ya. His lil rocket can move for not being tuned comepletely and not being on full boost.

Let me know if you can send those pics.

-Sean

Thank you all for your replies. I think I found what I am looking for on this one today. I was thinking about the 45mm unit, but I found another 50mm unit that I like a little better. The 50mm unit is attached with a V band type configuration and I think the ability to clock the unit very beneficial. But with the option and larger unit, the price goes up as well.

I have just about gotten this thing figured out in my haed to what I am going to do.

I was able to find a exhaust turbine housing that is the T3 flange with a .70 A/R so that is better then the standard Nissan housing, as I do believe The back pressure on the system is starting to get to unacceptable leavels. I am going to try to get a gauge on the thing and get som accurate data for all of you as well myself. This new turbine housing will be different in the outlet area. There is no provision for an internal waste gate, so that is the reason for the new(expensive sucker) external unit. The thing that really appeals to me is that it will be setup with a full3" pipe outlet that is also attached by a v band type configuration. I also like this option as I will be able to make minor adjustments to the clocking of the down pipe off the back of the turbo to make up for any little tweeks I will need to do on the install. I dont have this option currently on the down pipe as I welded the flange to the pipe after I positioned the pipe where I wanted it.

Since I am just about decided on the Tremec tranny, I am going to have to move the engine back 1 1/4"-1 1/2" to compensate for the shorter shifter position on the tranny so this added adjustment on the down pipe, I think, will be very beneficial. Additionally, moving the engine back will help to compensate for the center of gravity of the car, which right now is a little off due to the design of the car from Nissan. This to is very beneficial in the handeling and the way the car will hook up on a good run.

The problem I am having is that I still have not gotten a dampener for the engine and I am chicken to really push it hard to get a good test. But there again I was running for a number of miles and it was bad and I did not know it.

I have sold my turbo to craig, and I really need to get that out to him, he is a a great guy and hasn't gotten to upset by all of the setbacks on getting him his part. I really want to get the back pressure data first. I have looked and asked all over the palce and could not find anyone that has some hard data on excatly what the stock Nissan housing is doing with the hybrid steup and the stage 5 exhaust turbine wheel. I do find that hard to believe, but it seems to be the case, unless there is someone of you out there that has the data and it is accurate.

anyway, thanks again.

Jeffp

The larger 50mm wastegate is the way to go as it will help to further reduce the backpressure. I can get you a good deal on a HKS 60mmGT wastegate and I would bet it is comperable to the price of your 50mm Tial. TimZ just sent his exhaust manifold to South Florida Performance for them to start making custom manifolds for the Nissan L6. They will be mild steel and carry a 3yr warranty against cracking and will be in the $800-$900 range, maybe less. As far as your backpressure, even if you measure the backpressure at the turbo it is probably not a reliable assessment of the true backpressure in the system. Remember, in that area you will have the least backpressure. I would bet that if you measured the backpressure at the #3 cylinder it would be much higher. This is my theory as to why you do not see hp peaks above 6K rpm on most Nissan L6 turbo apps that use the stock cast manifold. The stock manifold just will not flow big #'s as it is a restrictive design on high hp applications. I never peaked hp on the dyno even at 7200rpm, but I also used a POS turbo header. I will redyno the new long-tube header when it is complete.

You could have something there James. I really dont like the stock manifold at all either. I do know that Robello did build an engine similar to mine that hit 606 on the dyno, I dont know what the total run looked like, but it did hit 600. The 50mm unit is a total joke. I called the guy and he started his quote in the 2k range for the part, nice to be able to clock the part, but not for that much money. I think the 46mm unit will do well on the car, I am just not sure about the mounting of it. I really need on in my hand to put up to the car to see just what it is going to take. I can get the part with the flanges for 549.00 with a .8 bar spring. I am also going to get the 1.3 bar spring for an additional 25.00 (quite a spring there)

I did have some questions on the ability to run stock boost 7-8 psi and still be able to run the waste gate up to 30psi or so.

There seems to be some confusion on the matter as to how do you run the lines.

I have a Blitz dual VBC controller. I called thm and what I need to do is run the turbo out line into the top of the waste gate and take the side inlet to the waste gate to the controller module and from there to the intake, before the throttle body. If my thinking is correct, then I should be able to operate the gate at the lower pressure with the softer spring, because in effect when I pressurize both sides of the waste gate with the same pressure, then we have about an 8 pound spring holding the gate closed, then as I adjust the controller and it bleeds off some of the pressure to the one side of the gate, the boost pressure will force the gate open after it overomes the spring pressure of 7-8 psi. Sound right to you???

I like the tial unit, it is more expensive then the HKS unit or others, but it is made of stainless steel and the top is in anadized aluminum, very high quality part for the money, and it comwes with all the mounting hardware in and out of the unit. I think it is a good deal. Waht do you think?

All I can say is thias is going to get tight in the exhaust side of the car, but I think I can work it and not make it look like crap in the process.

There really is allot of work to do on the car with the tranny install and all that stuff, and I dont think at this point with the final upgrades that I can just try to do one at a time and get away with that. The moving the engine really does concern medoable, I believe so, but I havent done it yet so I am not totally 100% sure everything is going to go the way I envision it to go, you know it's "the Z bonk.gif " unrelenting and pissy about everything LOL