HybridZ

turbo setup on a stock 280z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I did a search on this topic but couldnt really find a straight answer. Has anyone here ever put a turbo on an L28 from a 280z? Not talking about the 280zx turbo motor, just the normal engine in the 75-78 280z's. If i obtained a turbo manifold, T3, and the necessary piping, what more would need to be done?

If anyone has more info or a thread link that would help, i sure would appreciate it!

well this is what i have done on my 280z:

1. 77 non-turbo bottom end

2. p-90 head and oem nissan turbo head gasket(with this head on compression goes down to i think 7:5:1 which is same as turbo zx motor)

3. turbo zx wiring harness (i heard that you can modify stock harness but i dont feel like messing with it), turbo mas, and turbo ecu.

4. turbo distributor

i know that this is not answer that you are looking for but it helps you out some. i think if you have n42 head that turbo exhaust madifold will bolt right up but with p90 you can run more boost (lower compression).

I did that to my old 83 ZX N/A it made a huge difference in the car. That would be a similar setup to the 78 with a turbo and not using the stock turbo electronics. I think that is what your asking right? It was like a whole nother car after it got done. The biggest thing you'll need is some way to increase the amount of fuel avalible under boost and some way to control the timing. The fuel can be done many different ways from adition injectors to a simple Rising Rate FPR. I used the FPR and it works well to about 8 or so PSI. You can use a J&S Knock sensor or something like a MSD ignition control device for the timing. The only thing I don't like about the MSD ia that it will retard timing wheather it needs it or not. The J&S will only take timing off it it needs to.

I was thinking about turbo-ing my '77 280z also. And i was wondering two things: 1) my car runs rich at WOT as is, will this help me retain stock ECU or should i still try switching to the turbo one? 2) How do i know for sure i am running lean after i turbo, any gauges, warning lights etc to mount inside to monitor on the fly?

Thanks.

Pat.

To check to see if you are running lean try an EGT (Exhaust gas tempature) gauge. The higher the reading the hotter the exhasut. Opinons seem to vary alittle on what is the optimum temp to run at but, it seems like around 1500* works well while under full boost and load. You could also try a Wide Band O2 sensor but,the entry cost on one is quite high comprared to a EGT gauge. One of the best ways is to run a on a dyno at a shop that has a WBO2 and see what the readings are.