HybridZ

opinions on my turbo setup

Guest joeyhammer

Guest joeyhammer

ok.. while in the machine shop im b.s.ing with the machinist and it turns out he has a 280zx turbo motor with 5k miles on it.. the hting looks brand new. its been sitting (in a warm shop) since 1984.. it has a p90a head on it. i am most likely going to buy this motor to swap into my 240z.. i found a 93 mustang gt throttle body for cheap i was gonna bolt that on. is there anything else i should do while the zx motors out? im probably gonna wanna raise the boost to at least 9 or 10 at first..is there anything i should buy besides ecu,afm and harness? im thinking the only probelms i may have may come from the hyd lifters if it has them i havent looked. and the old injectors.. any opinions welcome.. and oh yeah he said 900 for the engine but ill get it for less.. and i know nothing about turbos so if anyone says check the turbo id apperciate a better explanation.. thanks alot guys.. i was also thinking about going with a z31 turbo electronics setup.. afm,ecu,harness,ignition everything.. what would the benefit be? i heard you cant boost over 11 with that setup.. thanks agin

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Go with a programable stand alone fuel computer they eliminate the AFM, are very easy to install and you can make all the horsepower the stock injectors are going to produce. When you do upgrade on injectors or turbo cam etc reprograming is not that big a deal and I just happen to be running a special on systems. Call for details.

Alex Costa

Precision Machined Engines

1-800-665-0405

$900 should get you the complete car with motor. I wouldn't give him more than $400 it, maybe $500 with turbo. If it had 5k miles on it and it's been there since 84, why has it sat for so long when it could of been sold back 86' when these cars were newer and he could of got $1900 for the motor. Unless this guy was a good friend I would question that. I called 2 junk yards last week. One said $750 the other $250 plus core. I got it for $200 cash and didn't give a core. It came with manifolds and injectors, no turbo.

About the turbo. They all have some shaft play even new ones. It's hard to explain what a small amount and too much should feel like. So if you wiggle it and can fell some movement don't worry unless the impeller is almost touching the housing. You can get a full rebuild kit for $65-75. I think it's more important that the impeller isn't nicked up and worn from a poor filter and hasn't touched the sides yet. I've bought a few used turbos and always consider them as needing a rebuild. You have no idea of there past life and miles and doesn't cost much.

It's hard to give an opinion on what set up to run. You may be happy with the HP at 10 psi while I need 20 psi that would require you to take a different route from the start. I wouldn't be to concerened about the stock injectors and turbo though, as they are both to small to make big HP.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest De Schmaydee

yeah...i'd get it running stock first....i dont think $900 is bad if it has been rebuilt....(prbly has been...and wasnt paid for).....you may need the distributor.....s

Guest joeyhammer

hahaha it hast ee eruilt.. it has 5k origial m,iles o it.. the guy wrecked the car i 84 ad he stripped it at the machiists garage ad he kept the motor.. its got the dist ad everythig coected to it.. ca you tell the two uttos that aret workig o my keyoard.. sorry