HybridZ

Internal Wastegate ?

Cody 82 ZXT

I just got my engine running the other day and other than an idle proublem it looks like it all went together well and is running great so far. I'm having a hard time not doggin it everywhere I go. I must admit that I've dipped into boost on a few occasions. burnout.gif

What I'm curious about is that the turbo seems to be giving out 9 psi with the stock wastegate and no boost controller hooked up. This is with the intercooler and any pressure drop I would have it in the system. The wastegate hose is hooked up at the turbo compressor and straight into the wasegate. The only real mods at the moment are just ported stock exhaust manifold and a Weber T-body. The head had a clean up pass done on it but, nothing major.

I've never had it do this before. Do you think maybe when I had the turbo rebuilt the person switched wastegate actuaters(sp)on me? Looks the same. The boost does seems to spike a little. The turbo is a T04B don't know the trim with a Stage 2 turbine. The exhaust after the turbo is currently stock DP with 3" after cat.

Any ideas on why it would be running the much boost? Should I have ported the wastegate hole?

i agree. i didnt turn up boost when i dropped in a zxt motor, in zxt it ran 6psi with stock exhaust, and a cat,

with cat and three inch exhaust, it went up to 8psi and would spike up to 10 if i granny shift and floored it, i dont think you have a problem, oh yeah you do have a problem

why are you only running 9 psi???

probably break in procedure right? probably a good thing then.

i think youre ok.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

In almost all turbo upgrade situations you have to modify the waste gate actuator to bolt on to the new upgraded compressor housing, did you shorten the rod? If the rod is short it will have lots of tension and have to open longer to speed down the exhuast wheel making more boost. So how does it feel at 9psi??

The compressor housing is that same one that I've been using for about 5 years now. It always ran 7 psi before without intercooler and 6.5 psi with the intercooler. I do think that the rod may be a touch out of line with the wastegate arm (no more than before). Like I said though the only thing that really changed on the turbo is the turbine wheel and a new center section. (Lightweight flywheel if that makes any difference) It's not like it's a big deal but, it does make me wonder why.

By the way at 9 psi it feels great. Spools super fast and feels like the old combo. did at 10 or 11 psi. I don't have any extra fuel controller on it right now until I get it broken in and inspected. This new Texas inspection thing is tough. After all that I'm about 2 hours or less of mods away from some real boost and bigger power #'s. I can't wait! 2thumbs.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Cody, you said you changed out the exhaust turbine. There is your change, if you change out the wheel to a different setup it only stands to reason that you will have a different operating turbo. True the actuator should open up @ 7psi, but slight differences in spring pressure also make a difference of when the catuator will actually open the waste gate. anyway, just some thoughts on the matter. smile.gif