HybridZ

Classical dilemma...V8 an original 240?

Guest Russ240z

Guest Russ240z

So...how did everyone start their project? I just bought a '72 240z last week that is all original. Everything works on the car. It drives good and the motor is smooth as silk. But that's the problem. I'm not a purist when it comes to cars but I do hate to split up a running car; especially a classic. I already have a '74 260 set up for the strip only (I bought my 260 already set up with a V8); but I wanted something to enjoy more often. So I started looking for a staight car to build for the street with a V8. So, how did everyone start? Running or not?

Russ,my project ideas started at a salvage auction with a buddy that owns a yard.I saw a 77 280 with 2 dings in the hood and a tailight broken out.It looked like it had been rearended and pushed into the back of a p.u with tow hooks.I crawled underneath it,and found the floors and all visible points of the frame to be rust free.So...135.00 later I drove it home.With a salvage title the car would never realy be worth anything as a classic, so let`s cut it up and race it. By the way,I`m currently living in Oxford Al.(just for another year or so)My wife is down here at Lincoln training new team leaders at the new Honda plant.I am looking for a solid 240 to build in addition to my 280, would you happen to know of any off hand? 256 832 5366 I`ve been having trouble with my e-mail lately.

My car was a 200k miler with a complete interior (bad seats, cracked dash) a good-running original 2.4 motor, a totally solid body, etc. I went back and forth several times, debating whether or not to V8 it. At first I wanted to, but then I worked on it, pulled all the smog equipment and added headers and exhaust. I was happy with it and was convinced that I didn't want a V8 anymore. I even considered getting a license plate that said STR8SIX. In the end, I was no longer happy with six cylinders and found an RB swap to be too expensive and not really viable in the states. So I went V8 and so far I'm glad I did. I've been getting lots of positive comments from everybody I know, including my friends that aren't into domestic performance. My car was in great shape but not great enough shape that it couldn't be 'improved'....

In your case, since you've already got a V8Z, I'd keep your new, nice original Z as a runner as it is.

Guest Russ240z

Denny,

I'll keep an eye open for solid cars in the area. I too am still looking or one that is not running but straight with no cancer. Do you have your car down south, or did you store it up north? Racing season starts up around here in late march - early april. Sometime around then we'll have to hook up and swap car stories.

Russ,

Mine is a 73 "the last year of the 240Z" is what the purists' websites say anyway. It too is still an inliner and it runs out great. Yeah I hate to modify it because it's a good running/looking setup with chrome valve cover modded 72 SU's the prior owner painted the block blue (looks nice) added a MS head, headder w/wrap, Crane XR3000 ignition, I added SS hose cover kit, electric fan and generally cleaned things up. But the real reason I bought my Z was to do the conversion. The PO also added MS springs and sway bars and replaced some of the bushings in the front, so this was a good candidate for a swap. I probably paid too much for it ($4000) but his starting price was $5500 (way too much) icon_eek.gif . I know this car would be a good candidate for restoration but I had a plan in mind when I bought it and that was to convert it to a V-8.

If you are having serious doubts about doing the swap because the car (72) is more of a classic then go look for another car and save this one to be restored to original condition. Yeah they were nice when shiny and new and and are a true sports car for the poor man. (me) Other wise yank the 6 and make room for the 8, follow your gut on this one I'm sure you will make the right decision and good luck!!!

David

My Z is still in Oh,scheduled to be painted sometime in the next month or so.I still have to take it to the inspection station before I can install the 383(I don`t think the statey`s would be as encouraging as the guy`s on this board)I brought a 71 chevelle w/ me that I`m in the middle of a frame off on.I`ll tell ya,cars are alot easier to move in one piece.I should have the chevelle ready for paint by spring or eary summer.Then I`ll bring the Z down,and start the project I really wan`t to work on.

Mine was a shell that I built into the car you see in the link below, but had a high compression L6 in it. I built the car to compete in the SCCA F prep. category. It wasn't enough... Low 13s in the 1/4 only when abusing it on launch, and hammering it to get down the road in a hurry only to keep up with bone stock mustangs and camaros... Just wasn't my cup of tea. I bought a 93 GMC stepside pickup that was loaded, had a 350 with TB injection and ran VERY strong (9s in the 1/8th) for a 4000# truck, and the HP and torque realed me in. That was when I scrapped the L6 power mods ideas and had a 383 stroker motor professionaly built.

Mike icon_biggrin.gif

In my college days I had a 73Z...my parents found for me while I was carless at college. Prior to that I had a 73 Intn'l 4x4 TANK and wanted a sports car. I had never even seen a Z prior to that (always a muscle car guy up to that point). But, when I first saw the car (Agreed to allow parents to buy the car sight unseen) I liked it.

If I had known of a V8 swap kit back then....I'ld have done it in a heartbeat!!

I know the purist will hate me for this...but I would only second guess myself on a V8/Z swap if the car was a 70 model; 71, 72 & 73 240z's are IMO fair game. Its your car & you paid for it/slap your V8 in it, install A/C & you'll will truely become the master of your domain (block). There's something about a really nice/original old sports car w/power to boot at your disposal; I truely long for the day where I can make my swap.

I currently have a 78 2+2 which I bought from the original owner...very nice interior, high mileage-but the A/C still works & the engine gets 24mpg; Its a nice car...but once I get the chance to swap to a V8...there will be no hesitation!

FWIW: if you do ever decide to sell the car...just keep the original drivetrain wrapped up in storage so if a future owner were to put the car back to original...they can do so w/relative ease.

Kevin

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

It is actually getting harder to find an early Z in Oregon in good condition.There were a lot of them here at one time on the West Coast where most of them were sold.I have a good 280Z to keep and a good one that I stripped for a conversion which I regret becuase I later purchased rust free beaters cheap that easily could have been conversion candidates since about every thing can be up for renewal in a conversion. It appears that availability of a rust free car and state licsence requirements are your primary factors to consider in putting V-8 adrenilin in a 1972. Drve it and get a beater. A fellow cannot get enough Datsuns especilly good running ones

I'd say that the 72 was probably the best 240Z.

But there are many restored ones around.

I'd just build what you want to drive. There are lots of 72Zs around that are original, so as far as keeping yours stock for history's sake, I'd not worry about it. Past that, I can't see a reason to leave it stock unless YOU like it that way.

To me, if you want a V8Z and the one you have isn't one of the first 500 made (1970 series), then do the swap. Don't worry about what other people say about ruining it - it's your car, do with it what you want. Sure the resale on 72s may be going up, but I doubt it will top out above $10K ever (the same as the three year depreciation on alot of high dollar luxo-boats). A very nicely done V8Z can be sold for that much also. But make no mistake, a pristine 240Z will be easier to get good money for than a V8Z. But making a nice V8Z takes about as much as truly restoring a 240Z. And you NEVER get the money out of either - it's throw away money!

From my subconscience, I just got this news flash:

"It ain't no rare Ferarri, just build it." bonk.gificon_biggrin.gif

Guest Russ240z

Thanks guys. The car is nice but not perfect. I'll post pics when I get them back...no digital camera here. That budget just got spent on the car! icon_biggrin.gif While the 240's are by no means rare, they are harder to find in the south where rust thrives. I told a buddy who has one (original) that I would just drive it till it pukes and then do the swap. He being the purist he is said, "good, the car's safe for at least another 100k miles!"

C.H.U.D. was not running, but had a V8 SBC and 2 spd powerglide in it with the Scarab setup. Needed lots of work. Had some nice surprises for us when we further inspected the Z. icon_biggrin.gif Like a 383 stroker motor! icon_razz.gif Well good luck and have fun whatever you decide. twak.gif J & G

Pure Z

I was looking for a '63 Falcon Sprint when I stumbled upon my Z. It was hard to see b/c of the lumber stacked on top and around it. The hood on top of the lumber pile got me. It looked straight and complete, although half the parts were in boxes. The aluminum "mag" wheels sold me and I ante'd up $300.00 cash..... at night... lit only by one driveway flood. Big mistake. I was able to drive it home down the mountain into San Bernardino. All six u-joints rattling away. At home, I determined it to be late '70 (assembled in '70) sold in '71 as a '71. Fairly low numbers, vents in the trunk. I solved the problem by attempting to restore the outside to '70 stock, including the interior and to go csb R7004, disk brakes and all. My goal is to have something that on first glance looks original, sounds quiet, and allows me to sneak through the grass looking for 5.0s, z28s, the occasional Porsche and still pass for an upright if not uptight citizen.

zgeezer