HybridZ

T5 Swap for a Super T10?

I'm pretty sure you will have to swap out the bellhousing, but that ain't a big deal since most of the modern OD manual trans com with the bellhousing. I currently have the same gearing and the T56. It is a great trans and sounds like it would be a better pick for you, based on the HP you will probably be running.

Now, if you are gonna drop the trans... Can I make a suggestion? Buy the JTR Mounts and hood latch relocator and go ahead and set the motor back a bit. You can do it with the thing in te car and a decent jack and some wood, or rent a cherry picker. Where are you located? I have one I'll loan you... It is that big a difference when you do the JTR conversion... Ask SuperDan, the guy that owns this board... I convinced him and .... well just ask him...

Good Luck!

Mike

Actually, I think the GM T-5 will bolt to the same bellhousing as used for the old Muncie and T-10, like the Scarab. I'm about 99.9% sure of this. The input shaft length should also be the same. The retainer housing diameter for the TO bearing should be the same also, so your clutch parts (except the spline number/diameter on the two transmissions) should work also. So at most I would think you could buy a new clutch disc for the T-5 and things should bolt up. Oh yeah, the output yoke will probably be different (if it's not a large output shaft of the T-10), so that yoke may have to change. The driveshaft length? Maybe the JTR manual has that info (mine's at home).

Love to see pics of your car, Bob. I have all the Scarab literature (catalog, fliers), and almost bought a kit 20 years ago.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

Also, If you use a T5 from a camaro/firebird with the nonstock bellhousing, the trans. mount is going to be at an angle. It would be easier to use the T5 bellhousing and trans as a complete set. I've heard swapping extension housings might be an option (no WCT5 S10 tailhousings with speedo hook up. You'd have to go electronic) Fabricating angled crossmember mounts can be a pain.

JS