HybridZ

BIG turbo's

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I have been browsing around other buy/sell forums looking for big turbo's. I think that's what I want. I say that becuase I don't really know what I want. I know I don't want to have to upgrade twice or more times when the urge for more power comes. I AM going to build a L30ET. I know the Supra guys have good success with the T78 on there 3 liters

Guest JAMIE T

My computer messed up, so I couldn't finish my post.

Anyway, As I was saying! The 3L Supra's seem to do OK with the T78, But, I don't know how well it will work on a non-crossflow 3L engine. Dont worry yourselves about the bottom end, I've got the parts to build my stroker, just need the pistons now. They are just a phone call away at JE. ARP studs and bolts throughout the bottom end. 9mm rods. I think it'll hold together.

What about T04E's, and T04 62-1's? I assume the T04E would spool the fastest of these three. Does anyone have one of these type's of turbo's? I guess I could go with a hybrid turbo. I've heard they can only make up to about 450hp. I think I want a turbo that can make nearly 600hp, but I don't need to have the boost turned all the way up all the time. I just think that maybe in the future I WILL want to drag race this L6, and have the power to run mid 10's. I already plan on using a stand-alone ECU, huge intercooler, Plus, I can do any of the custom fabrication myself. The car is being prepped for the power, ala, cage, big brakes, racing seat, harness, etc...

Anyone running a T04 on a daily driver? Would anyone ever dare to run a T78? Rememeber, I've got nitrous to help spool that big boy up!

I may be wrong, as I often am, but the differences between the 2JZ and the L28ET (yeah, 3.0 liters) are significant.

The 2JZ is 4 valves/cylinder and has a crossflow head; result - gobs more flow.

The 2JZ also has a higher redline. I haven't checked the specs in a while, but I think it can spin at least 1000rpm higher.

I think the T78 would be a huge pig on your stroker, but a full T4 would probably work very well. The Supra has good street turbo options like the T66 as well, which might work better.

The 2JZ is capable of 600+ peak rwhp. No one has touched that (yet) with a L28ET.

If you don't know much about turbos, hold off on buying and study up. It is way too easy to buy the first thing, then 6 months later figure out your mistake.

people have made more than 600hp on l28et, but not as easy as a 2jz, thats for sure, guys hit that mark with stock internals, and i know not one supra guy who has opened up the block to do anything-or knows how to work on the internals for that matter.

If you run a full T4, just run the .58 ar housing if you use the P trim.

Personally, I would rather run a hybrid since that is where the technolgy is right now, the P trim wheels are old tech, and the new 10 blade stage V turbine wheels they are using in the hybrids are the way to go if you ask me.

Ack, why the supra owner bashing? :confused:

I agree with the rest, the big T series are probably not the way to go with the L6. I think the weight of the supras also help keep them under a lot more load to get that air flowing for those big turbos.

I don't know much about the new t3 turbine setups, but I don't think you could go wrong with a t4 P trim, low a/r and then put one of the largest compressors you can bolt on for the small shaft setup. Going to big shaft probably will only make more time to spool, and unless you get a BB setup it could be a big pain.

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks for the responses. I am leaning toward a T04 series type turbo. I'm gonna check Turbonetics site again and take a look. I've seen some guy advertising what sounds like some nice turbo's for what I think are reasonable prices. I will try and find it again, and post a link. His screen name is GT ball bearing, or something like that.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Hey Jamie T, I dont like to knock a competitor, I think it's low class but bullet nuts are suicide and you either have a TO4E or a 60-1 whats it gonna be. Anyway the solution you are looking for is in the turbine housing and you are looking for large when it comes to this. Although not popularly disclosed turbos do have a power robbing feature in that they produce a restriciton on the exhaust. Lucky for us you can size to eliminate this problem. You will find that on the NOS your car is going to work better and lag will not be a problem with a large exhaust housing. Give me a call so we can brain storm a solution.

Alex Costa

800-665-0405

Guest JAMIE T

Alex, we spoke for awhile a few weeks ago. Mostly about stand-alone ECU's. I think we'll be getting to know each other pretty well in the near future.

Have the IC cores come in yet? Any of them @12"x24"x3"? I'll call you when I get a few minutes.