HybridZ

T3/T4 using stock 280ZXT turbine?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I'm just wondering if anyone does this? Is it too small for real HP? Would the 300ZXT turbine section be better? I'm getting close to buying new turbo, and wanted alittle info first. Would it be better to buy a new turbo outright, like from Turbonetics or Majestic? Or, get mine rebuilt and have it upgraded to a T3/T4?

i dont know what real hp is. my personal goal

is 280 from the 280 @ wheels, im going with a pint size little to4b/t3 combo for that. i think the power can be had out of them if you have the system to put the psi out. how much turbo does 168 cubic inches need?

I bolted a t04b compressor to a stock 280zx turbo turbine housing. The 300zx housing is just the same, so no upgrade there.

Donno my power output, and I'm only 2.4L's. Would be better off getting an upgrade turbine setup.

Look around on ebay, I see some pretty good deals on t3/t4's sometimes..

Originally posted by JAMIE T:

I'm just wondering if anyone does this? Is it too small for real HP? Would the 300ZXT turbine section be better? I'm getting close to buying new turbo, and wanted alittle info first. Would it be better to buy a new turbo outright, like from Turbonetics or Majestic? Or, get mine rebuilt and have it upgraded to a T3/T4?

Most hybrid turbos use the stock exhaust turbine. It's what I use, and I will be looking to get 300+ hp (at the wheels) this spring before an upgrade becomes necessary.

The only reason anyone uses the 300ZXT turbo is for the center section, as some of them were water cooled. The turbine was the same as the 280ZXT. The years to use are '85 and '86 I think, as '84 was not water cooled, and the '87 and later units were T25, not T3.

I had my original turbo upgraded to a T3/TO4B, V trim, from JCR, and it's been very reliable - 6 years, 10k miles, and 14 psi.