HybridZ

Anyone having info. on sidepipes?Pros&Cons

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 1973 240.Iam thinking about putting side pipes on.It sure seems easier then making duel exhaust fit under the car.I would love to hear feed back.Also anyone knowing who makes such a product.Thanks

Henry

Guest Anonymous

Summit Racing Equipment in their catalog, offer triple disc street and/or strip mufflers to be installed in header extension for about $55.00 a piece. The triple discs range from 2 to 4 inches in diameter. My idea is to obtain two 90 degree metal electrical conduit bends and cut one in half for the side pipes coming from under the car and the other pipe (90degree) bend cut in half and trimmed for the outlet end. Obtain a straight section of conduit to fill between the two ends exhaust outlet and inlet and place the triple disc street mufflers inside the straight section of the side pipes. The 3 piece side pipes(electrical conduit) could be expanded on a couple of the end joints in the middle to form a slip fit to hold all three pieces together(side pipes)A one inch piece from what is left over of the extra straight section could be removed and split to form a clamp by welding on end tabs on each side with bolt holes drilled for clamps. A lot of work and about $150.00 would get you a set of side pipes in as little as a 2 inch diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

speaking of sidepipes, found this on ebay: 280 with sidepipes

he wont get anywhere near what he wants for the car. too much overspray with the paint, i'm assuming the dash is cracked with that top, dont like the eq on top of the dash, and on and on. looks like he would be lucky to get $3K for that. i was thinking $8000 if i sold mine, but it's a lot easier to add the parts up on mine to get well over that figure. on his.... nice steering wheel is about all i can say.

Guest Anonymous

Thats sort of a sucky looking paint job (for my taste anyway, I hope I'm not offending anyone here that may be selling it but....), it looks like he just sprayed the front yellow, the back black and left the stock Datsun orange in the middle... I've seen far better for less... Oh well, then again P.T. Barnum said something about a sucker born every minute..., or politely, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it... ;)

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I bought a set of 52 inch chrome side pipes (3inch diameter) with chrome (vented) heat shields out of JC Whitney. Fairly decent quality with built in mufflers in the middle section. I cut into the front fenders to get the pipes higher up on the rocker panel. I am building a Tomahawk Z, where side pipes are required and the re-body fenders are already molded to mount the pipes higher.Summitt and Jegs used to sell similar side pipes with shields. Side pipes were very popular for years. In my opinion, a person would want to get the pipes up higher on the rocker panel to look right and keep them from getting drug or knocked off on high spots. Yes, I admit that I bought something from Whitney.Also you can get your lower leg or your passenger's totally fried on unshielded side pipes when getting out of the car

Guest Anonymous

You know I have always wanted sidepipes but like you all have not figured out a way to do it and maintain propper ground clearance. Well my next question/idea is about mustang Roush (spell?) kits. I don't know how they are designed but I really like the look and especially with the ground effects that come on the stang. Not sure if I can make the stang stuff fit or maybe just use the exhaust parts and buy side skirts form MSA and modify for the tips.

Input?

Stony,

I think the issue would be taking the structural qualities off of the rockers and putting it under the car elsewhere (like a frame) or substituting the rockers for a 'quarter-round' of 6' piping that could be welded in place and leave enough room to mount the side-pipes into them. Does that make sense? In any event, this would require a lot of welding and certainly a ton of intestinal fortitude to cut that portion of the car. My hat is off to anyone that can cut a perfectly good Z that far and still forge ahead. I know I would get cold feet.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

You wouldn't get cold feet if they get close to that side pipe... :D

Seriously though, much has been said about the placement and all that, I want to know how they're being hooked up to the blockhuggers and does it leave any sort of ground clearance where it would have to cross under the frame rail? I'd do it in a heartbeat if it meant I had good clearance, but I can't visualize it being any better. I suppose you could somehow go through the inner fenderwell but that runs into the brake lines on the drivers side and the series of u's and elbows needed to get to them out to the back of the front fender would seem like a nightmare. Any insight outside of say stainless braided flex exhaust hose?

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Check out Eric Nyerlin's website on ZCAR.Com on the Tomahawk Z section to get a look at sidepipes on some re-bodied Z Tomahawks which will be a rocker panel(high) riding 4 tube running into a shielded muffler on the sides.It all works without much fuss