HybridZ

Now 1 3/4 blockhugger problems

John Scott

I give up on the full length SS units. Now I find the 1 3/4 block huggers are going to be a tough go as well. BLKMGK has already tried the Sandersons with steering clearance problems, Rewarders had similar problems, both sides ??!! Though I read about Holley products promo engine builds using a 1 3/4 block hugger, they claim they don't exist, and no they won't make them as a special order. "..hey we got four calls this morning requesting them" Flowtech tech sends me an e-mail saying they don't make a 1 3/4 block hugger.This suks!

John

John et. al.,

I am making inquiries with my Dad to see if the guy who makes the exhaust system for his Camaro racing car (trans-am/nascar hybrid type racin oversees, would be willing to make up a set of 1 3/4 primary / 2 1/2 collector, equal length headers that will: 1. clear the sensors and spark plugs on the LT1, and 2: end just below the oil pan flange and 3: clear the steering / starter and all that Jazz.

I am primarily after a set for my engine (LT1), but once he is done (if he agrees to do this. he is one of those exhaust artists who is REALLY picky about the work he agrees to do), I am sure we can get a run going for a batch. The work is A+++++++ and with the current exchange rate of about 10 to 1, the price should be attractive. The only problem for you would be if you are in a rush. I won't need my exhausts for a few weeks or so, so time is not that much of an issue.

I will keep everyone posted. This mission, if he chooses to accept, will be awesome.

Tim

A custom set would be sweet. I'm not in a really big hurry as far as having my car road ready, but I did want to have a set to run on the dyno to confirm or quell any myths about short vs long. I also want to have my guessing games over by the time I install. I know what custom header builders ask around here and it gets real expensive. Keep us posted.

John

I'd also be interested...I'm not running an LT1, but I'm using a SBC with 23 degree heads...

1 3/4 primaries would be sweet! The only other option is starting to seem to be getting a set of header tubes and flange kits and tackling making your own...

Mike :eek:

Actually in my case the Rewarder's hit on the passenger side. At least that's what the shop claimed. However I'm pretty sure I mocked these up before final welding and coating and that there was no problems with the driver's side for sure. Passenger side I think I checked but am not positive. I intend to set them up again but haven't had time. I've still got to convert to CVs!

IMO - go ahead and call them up. They WILL work with you! They sent me my headers unfinished and uncoated for test fitting. However when they came back they had angled the outlets inward towards the block and not straight down. I hadn't told them how I wanted them but I wanted them STRAIGHT. It's possible that this is why they supposedly hit. Will be awhile before I can try them out, am getting work done on the Supra, trying to get the RX7 sold, and still need to do CVs on the Z so I'm pretty busy. (sigh)

BLKMGK Jim, thanks for the reply. I pretty sure I'm going with the Rewarder. Man they're pretty proud of those things, but who else has a 1 3/4 that fits, AND w/ 2 1/2 or 3 collector options?? I see they also have headers for angle plugs etc. I got an e-mail from them today to start the process. The straight outlets is a good tip, I'll emphasize that. If you think of any other mods that should be done for a better fit let me know.

Dude you have too many irons in the fire...and a Supra to play with. Have fun!

John

WAY too many irons in the fire I'm afraid (sigh). Talked to a guy today who's going to try and see what's going on with my intake. The guy who's doing the work runs Reichard Racing (sp?!). He's a very good machinist who's work has been highlighted in several mags and at SEMA. His workload has gone WAY up since I turned over my intake to him (sigh).

Might be awhile before I get to the headers - were you going with the same sort of options I did? I don't recall what exactly they were but I think I went as big as I could - ports still don't match up to the Edelbrock heads as well as the other companies' headers did :( I DID port them before having them coated though to remove flash from the welding process. smile.gif If Mikelly's motor is apart maybe we could test fit mine in his car - Mike? My advice to you would be to at least test fit them roough before having them coated, make any modsdings etc, then have them coatedfinished. Their prices are right, the guywas SUPER nice on the phone with me, VERY flexible, and turned them around pretty quickly. All in all I was pretty happy with them... 2thumbs.gif

We could absolutely do that... I have the motor out and the whole front end OFF... Let me know, but I'll be booked the rest of this weekend all the way through next weekend with preparing for and going to the MSA show.

Mike 2thumbs.gif

Cool, that would be great, BLKMGK & Mike! Mike, you're running the Canton road race pan, right? I think have a similar kick out with my Kevko. The more I think the block hugger is going to solve a lot of problems on that side.

I'm planning on sending a detail of my exhaust ports to Rewarder for the best match. I'll find out what other "options" are availible. These are going to cost about 2X the hookers, uncoated, but I'll gladly suck up and pay in order to get past the header issue.

Also, since Mike is doing the trial fit, BLKMGK is supplying the header, I'll spring for the shipping Let me know the costs.

John

Just let me know Mike. I won't be doing ANYTHING with the headers for at least two weeks. I've GOT to get on this CV job but have just not had the energy. Might see if a friend of mine who's close will come over and help - having someone to talk to while doing it will make it go much faster! Headers are just sitting and I'll wait until you've had time to test fit before deciding what to do - as I recall ytou've got a header delimma too so this should help everyone out...

Heck, worse comes to worse come over and we'll drop my head pipes and try bolting them to MY car for a "real" test... rockon.gif

Jim,

I need to get my motor back from Performance Machine before I can do anything with the test fitting. I'll let you know when it is ready...I'll be out of town from Thursday of this week through Monday of next week. I'll be at MSA.

Mike :D

No prob, just let me know. Woman is going to be walking 60miles for a breast cancer charity event from Friday EARLY until Sunday so I'm thinking MAYBE I'll be able to get started on the CVs. :D

Take LOTS of pics at MSA and see if you can't find us some CF vendors ;) Headers will be here when you get back!