HybridZ

S&S full length options

John Scott

:-D Hey Guys (John Scott, Mikelly, et.al.) Long time no talk!! So long that I got dropped off the site.:icon_frow It's been 3 yrs I think. The "145" is my original member # when I joined in 2000. (whaaa, boo hoo).

I remember this disscussion from 5 yrs ago-Andy Bayley sent me some pics of a 1 3/4" header set up but I've forgotten if it was a one time custom job or what.

HOWEVER, I discovered that Motorsport Auto is offering both a shorty 1 5/8" header (like most of us have) and a 1 3/4" full length header in their latest catalog.

My ? is; does anybody know anything about their 1 3/4" header?? They claim that their ZV8 components are designed for the engine in the set back position. I am interested in a 1 3/4" header sys but don't want to do a lot of fabrication, bending, dimpling, cussing and swearing to get an acceptable fit.

Please advise! Thanx :-D

Hey Honorable FastFrog. Glad to see you're still lurking around..still need to meet up someday before we're too old to remember all the good Z stories. Can't say off hand, but I think if you search the topic you'll find quite a few running the full headers. What are you cooking up? Always enjoyed our conversations. Feel free to call up sometime.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The headers MSA sells are the S&S full length headers and you're better of getting them from S&S, if you decide to go that route: http://www.headermania.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=H&Product_Code=5205&Category_Code=STREETROD

I use these headers with my car with the JTR setback position, but had to persuade the floor a little bit with a bfh in order to run the exhaust.

Guest Fast Frog 145

:-D Thanx guys for the reply and info. I'm going to look into these headers.

nullbound; would U mind contacting me at zhaba@bresnan.net and leaving me your phone #? I'd like to follow up with a few detailed questions regarding your header install experience.

Thanx, Rick :-D

In my opinion, those headers are junk for any application other than dragracing. They hang way too low, don't allow a lot of clearance of various oil pans, and I don't think provide a true "bolt on" solution. I have three sets in the shop right now. One set I cut off the car last weekend to replace them with block huggers, one set I have on the shelf that will become a set of 1 3/4 block huggers out of (Or something else) one set to give to Pete to cut up and play with for his own purposes, and one set for "just incase" I hack up the first set... Fortunately I don't have a lot of money in the three sets. That said, I'd never recommend 1 3/4 S&S headers for any member's project car as a "bolt-on" solution.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fast Frog 145

:) Thx Ryan for answering my ?? re: your S&S header experience. I'm going to get in touch with a local muffler shop which does custom and racing setups and see if I can cure my "constipation" problem above 4500 rpm. I'll advise all of the final outcome!

John Scott: It was great meeting U finally. I enjoyed our visit and meeting your family. Your little 6yr old daughter is going to be giving the boys puppy love fits in 6 or 7 yrs!!:mrgreen: Say, would U send me your email address at zhaba@bresnan.net I've lost it over the yrs. Thanx!

Guest Fast Frog 145

:) Hey Mikelly!! I've been retired now for 3 yrs+. Finally getting around to tying up some loose ends with my Z car. I gotta gitter done real quick!! I'm a grandpa again. My youngest son and his wife had their 2nd-a 'lil girl on May 24th. My oldest son and his wife R having twin girls in Aug! So I got to fit my exhaust upgrade within the next 6-8 wks :icon52:

I bet you're still with the "Company" and know all kinds of things but won't tell!?!?:icon6::icon29:

I've heard U have some concerns with the S&S header setup. I don't plan to race or any thing that envolved. Just street action and straight line acceleration. Just more power to wow the grand kids:mrgreen::rolleyesg

Rick