HybridZ

good muff recomendation

Guest 280Tom'z

Guest 280Tom'z

Bulding the baddest Z ever made i have no bills and make 75g a year it's going to be a turbo L28 w/ a T4 turbo and 3" pipe what will be the best muff to use i want a good rumble and tone that makes noise what do you guys think. i want guys who drive muscle cars lose there bowels with a sound they never thought could come out of not just an import but a Z sour.gif

One muffler that Ive found makes a Z sound really mean is one tucked in behind a sbc engine! coollook.gif I love the straight six engines but if you have a healthy budget and want to build something with special performance I feel a V8 is the way to go. Look at how much power the sbc makes in stock form. The new ZO6 makes 405hp. Imagine what it would do with a small supercharger! To get anywhere near those numbers with a datsun six you would be giving up a LOT of reliability. Most people dont want to go with the sbc for weight reasons but that argument is not all together valid. If you use aluminum components and relocate the battery to the rear you are maybe even a little lighter than a 280 engine + turbo. You also get better weight distribution.

I dont want to come across as bad mouthing the datsun mill. Just keep in mind that no matter what you do to the original engine you will never have the potential of a sbc. You just need to decide what you want to use the car for.

I could set off car alarms with a 3 in set up and a round Walker Ultra Flow without all that Flowmaster resonation. IMO, a Flowmaster sucks, but it is your money, and if you want the badest sounding Z and no flow, then the flowmaster is the way to go. If not, use the Walker or a Borla.

Drop you an RB engine in that thing, it will be reliable, and cheaper than trying to come up with a Z-06 engine and trans. IMO.

I can't say anymore or I will get in trouble. The V-8 guys will accuse me of being a purist, but I have to tell you, I like the 6 turbocharged. It is fun. I know the V-8 cars are fun too.

Spend your money where it counts, get good machine work, and a good programable engine management set-up, and the L engine will hold up fine.

No matter which way you go, it costs money.

Good luck no matter which way you choose to go.

Guest 280Tom'z

you guys are good at fig out names i was going with a GM 383 w/ t56 combo but found out ya can't race SCCA like that i want a RB26 soo bad but found that there arnt that many parts dealers for them if i could find a good one in the states i would so get one in a

heartbeat. but thank you all for your help. any way it's more fun popping the hood w/ an inline 6 after a good spanking

Guest Perry

When I had my 82 turbo engine in my 77 Z I had a 3 inch single exhaust with a 2 chamber flowmaster in the trans tunnel. Quite often I would start it in a parking lot and people would snap their heads around and look surprised to find the Z. It had a nice real low rumble at idle and you could hear the turbo (wife called it the batmobile). At high load it sounded a lot like a mustang with a flowmaster. Be warned it was real loud inside which is why it now has a 3 chamber, same sound but much quieter and most people don't notice it anymore.

Perry

Guest Anonymous

yea i jsut got a 3 inch no cat back to a 2 chamber flowmaster.. sounds bad ass.. and when yur on the line with a ricer to the side you cant here his lil anoying fart..

well, if you truly are planning on "Bulding the baddest Z ever made", it will take making 75g's per year to do it with a turbo L28 and t4. the returns would be a lot better for you if you went the route that your screen name implies. utvolman is right in that you will be giving up a lot of reliability. it can be done, dont get me wrong, but it will cost you. if you're going to do the 3" with a flowmaster, buy the one like mine where the inlet and outlet are on the same side of the muffler. your exhaust man will thank you for it and your muffler will tuck in the stock location nicely.

anywho, my '76 280 with the inliner had an msa header and 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with a 2-chamber flowmaster. i know exactly what you mean about the head-snapping effects, perry. it was quite fun setting off all the car alarms on parking decks in college just by starting my car. people used to ask me if that car had a v-8. now that i do have a v8 car, people tell me they know when i'm pulling into their neighborhoods.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used a Magneflow SS straight-through muffler with a 3" mandrel bent pipe from turbine outlet back.

It has a relatively quiet, deep tone - perfect for me!

This system flowed so much more than my old 2-1/2" system/Dynomax Turbo muffler that I have to get a bigger wastegate to control boost. bonk.gif

Guest JAMIE T

hehehe, He said muff!!!

I would be looking at some of the better import style canister mufflers like Apexi.

The baddest 6cyl Z ever would require a 3 liter 6 and a huge turbo. WANGON MIDNIGHT FOREVER

Damm Rick you have one of the nices Z's I've seen.

Anyway :D

If you want a good flowing muffler for a turbo, I would suggest Dynomax. Flow Master is great for NA cars because of the chambers helping with the back pressure. I've been told flow master doesn't give you as much HP as other mufflers. Better then stock of course.

I'm sure this mufflers flows as good as Rick's Magneflow SS muffler because it's also a straight through muffler and it's also 3" You can drop a golf ball and it will come out the other end.

You can barely see the muffler. This is the same muffler to the right. Perfect for a Z car. As you can see below no cambers so no restriction.

rear.jpgUltraFloSS_cutaway.gif

Allows the piping to be mounted higher.

zspeed_1026009951.jpgpipe2.jpg

This muffler gave me more clearance so the 3" piping won't scrap as much.

At idle it sounds like a V8 and from starting from a dead stop it sounds like a V8. Cruising the freeway it's quite unit I get on it. Cruising in a parking garage at 5-10mph does makes other car alarms give a warning chirp. I'm happy with this muffler plus I don't get headaches on long drives.

Guest 280Tom'z

hey Ron how much did your set up cost??? i like your set up and you deffinatly have a nice car and rick what flairs are those??? they look good

Rick - that Z is Beautiful! I love dark Blue also. :D What color is that? And what wheels? I've always liked 3-pc with black centers.

Oh yeah, on your site I saw a pic of some unique mounting for a Diff off the Mustache bar - what was that!

I love the Kaminari stuff. To me the BEST body kit for a 280ZX is the Kaminari - it's the way Nissan should have built it! The 240Z Kaminari stuff is sweet too!

We're getting way off the subject of "muffs", huh?

Hey, I used to live in Laurel 20 years ago.

Thanks -It's cool that my car is getting so much attention, and I don't mind telling about it.

The color is a 1990 300zx midnight blue pearlescent- Don't know the name or number - It's the darkest blue in the book - looks black at night. All my cars are blue. My daily driver:

Z1002s.jpg

My wheels I bought circa 1994 for a previous Flared Z which got wrecked - They are HRE 16" modulars, the style sadly is no longer made. 9" rear and 8-1/2" front, running 1-1/2" positive offset to fill the IMSA flares.

The moustache bar pics show a bracket I made to raise the diff upwards by about 1-1/2 ". I needed to do this because the car is lowered by about 3-1/2" and the halfshafts were raisin a ruckus when the boost hits. The only problem with this trick was that the diff now made contact with the transverse frame member above. I then notched the frame and embedded a 1X3" square tube with gussets to strengthen the notch. If you look close there's a picture of the notch, along with before and after halfshaft angles on the site. Reduced the halfshaft angle to 4 deg upward from 12(!) degrees and the noise was gone.I probably should discuss this over on the driveline forum, huh? I think others have struggled with that problem.

Originally posted by 280Tom'z383:

hey Ron how much did your set up cost??? i like your set up and you deffinatly have a nice car and rick what flairs are those??? they look good

Sorry Tom, didn't mean to start the Nice car compliments on Ricks's car. Someone would have eventually done it.

The Muffler was only $65 at summitracing.com and you need 2 3" 90 degree manderal bent pipes. I forgot where I got mine but if they cost more then $15 a piece keep looking. Make sure the muffler shop has made 240Z exhaust system before or print out the pictures I put on the forum so he can get an idea. My piping was routed at the edge of the driveshaft tunnel.

When I mentioned scrapping the pipes, I actually don't remember scrapping them at all :D

Let me know if you need more info.

Hey, I didn't help any with the lengthy non-relevent answer posts, either. Sorry, new member gaffe. bonk.gif

My Magneflow Race Series was a little pricey at about 160.00 - a really good looking piece, stainless steel wool packing, nice integrated tip, should last forever.

Guest gprix1

At Fred's Mufflers around the corner from me, there motto is "No Muff To Tuff". Really!! I'm not making this up. I see locals driving around with their bumper sticker all the time.

cheers.gif