HybridZ

California Emissions on a 77 Hybird

Guest jwelch

Greetings,

Looks like my job is moving to San Diego and I will most likely follow it instead of unemployment :confused:

My 77Z has a SMB 350 (70 model) with Holley Projection system and Vortec Heads.

What smog equipment will I need to put back on the car for CA emissions? (I just have a singal cat. on it now with nothing else)

Thanks for the help 2thumbs.gif

Regards,

Guest livewire23

lol, probably just about everything. whoo. cali emissions are real strict. I believe you need all the equipment originally on the 350 at the very least. If its a 1970 350 on and 1977 280, I dont believe you have a chance in hell. confused2.gif It really sucks. cry2.gif Ever thought of a track only car? Maybe someone else has more positive news?

oh, welcome to CA, if you decide to come out, Ill try to check out your car if Im ever in the LA area. looks nice, will be real nice when flared.

-Kito

Ok I'm not in CA but from what I understand about their emissions is that you have to have the same year of engine or newer and all smog equipment that was on that engine. So if you have a 77 then your motor needs to be 77+ not older! :( So you might run into some serious problems! Maybe Greimann will chime in, I think he is from CA and has done all of his modifications legally.

Guy

Thanks Guys;

I was afraid this was the answer that was coming. I barely get by in AZ because they use the date of the car and not the motor but it is still a PITA. cry2.gif

I'm actually considering the 240Z drivetrain swap that was mentioned. Probably the only way I can make it work.

Is there any talk of changing the year of vehicles that are effected? In AZ. everything from 67 and newer must be tested. I would hate to buy another Z and have the law change.

Maybe I will see some of you guys in Southern CA. after all of the moving dust settles.

cheers.gif

Regards,

Guest greimann
Originally posted by jwelch:

Thanks Guys;

Is there any talk of changing the year of vehicles that are effected? In AZ. everything from 67 and newer must be tested. I would hate to buy another Z and have the law change.

Maybe I will see some of you guys in Southern CA. after all of the moving dust settles.

cheers.gif

Regards,

So far it is a 30 model year (subtract 29 from the current year) rolling exemption, but it could change if the winds of political whim blow that direction. No guarantees.

Certainly make reservations for the MSA show, only 3 months way!!! Any ambulatory socal Z-car dude will be there!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rice is a food

u can change the year, not sure how legal it is, but if you know anyone in the junkyard business or anyone on here that has a junked z or one for parts you can buy their vin # tag from them and replace it with yours and get a salvage title, some people sell them at car swap meets but are pretty secretive about it since usually when people buy them it is for stolen cars... just an idea

You would have to have more than just the vin tag. You would need the tag/plate from the dash,door jamb,engine comartment,as well as the stamped numbers from the firewall(above the brake booster). The stamped vin is where the trouble would start, unless the 240`s didn`t have them.

I imagine it would be no easy task to change part of the firewall

Guest bang847

i think you can drive around for about a year postponing the smog check.. that is all i think.. there are also alot of shady smog guys in cali...

but i think it is more realistic to get the smog check postponed... only problem i believe is that you have to put up with hellish dmv lines every three months to get a window tag (temporary registration)...

good luck... and welcome to california..

at least the weather is better right?

Well, consider this: 1. When you move to CA, be sure to keep your AZ driver's license and car registration. Driver carefully, and if you are stopped be sure nothing in your wallet can tie you to living (residing) in CA. This will buy you some time. 2. Consider carefully what you wish to do. You may wish to look over this site and purchase another Z that is smog legal in CA. 3. Buy a '77+ chevy donor 350 car and swap it it with all the smog stuff or, better yet, find a donor TPI car of the late '80s and use it. If your '77 is a 280, it should be pretty well set up for fi, unless that was discarded in the original swap. Just some thoughts, but don't mess with DMV and change numbers. Finally, you can look up some soul with a 70 or 71 body and keep the engine.

gw

Originally posted by LEN168:

i got a better one

it involves registering your car at the dmv, but you........................and then.........then

you get stickers, and half the time they dont ask for insurance.

ive got more, but im charging for it these ones,

they are bulletproof guaranteed.

Guest Anonymous

ok been a long time for me on this game

find a way to keep a AZ mailing address

move to Cal

keep your Z registered, insured, and your AZ drivers liscense

your NOW A trans state commuter

what dose this mean?

you live 6 mo and 1 day in AZ

yes your daley driver can be a Cal car

but you must keep your AZ drivers liscense or else Cal will make you make your Z a Cal car

if you think this is bad

try driving a car from Idaho with AZ drivers liscense in the state of NJ and get stoped by a DMV road side check

(help if you know the laws)

Good luck with what ever you do

Nice car