HybridZ

FBody Fuel Tank? Yes!

jeromio

It fits pretty nicely:

sCamaroTankInstalledBottom2.jpgsCamaroTankInstalledBottom4.jpg

sCamaroTankInstalledTop1.jpg

I think I'm gonna add some structure to the rear area first - some heavy tubing for some extra crash proofing. Don't want no Pinto syndrome.

I have it in "backwards" - The Camaro uses it flipped around. But this way, not only does it fit in nicely, but the filler stays on the passenger side which equals less work for me.

Cool swap, jeromio!

Just wondering - do you have the tank pushed all the way to the right in those photos? I am wondering from the point of view of putting two mufflers on the left side of the tank like I've done in my car (requiring OE spare tire well surgery).

I pushed it over as far as I could with the current mounting system. That was meant to be a joke since the thing is just hung by the luggage straps (which I'm glad I didn't remove when I splornked out the well - they were in the way but I left them).

In the real mounting situation, it will go over a bit more. Not exactly sure how much. The tank is about 32 inches wide.

I was a little worried about the lack of a spare tire. But then, when I removed the spare (for the first time ever), it was totally useless, dry rotted. So, it wasn't doing me any favors by being there. 16.8 gallons should equate to quite the cruising range.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

How does the fill hose hook up? is it a straight in dump, like the stock tank? If it is not, do you have much trouble at the gas pump with the nozzle shutting off?

This is really agreat idea. I have been looking at building a replacement tank for myself, but I may go this route. Although I was thinking stainless steel.

Hmmmmm...

coollook.gif

Jon

Guest Anonymous

FL327,

I'd be careful doing that. I know a guy who did that with his new (used) Dodge Neon 3 days after he got it. He jumped in and took off, he said he thought the handle fell out and that's why there was gas everywhere as he pulled out. Then at a light some guys were pointing and laughing and he said I know, my gas door is open, and they said no look, the end and like 4 feet of tubing were hanging out, dragging on the ground.... He went back because they got him on camera, they wanted him to pay, but he refused saying that is why the business has insurance, hazards of doing business..... that worked :D

Kris

Been there, done that. Drove about 400 yards to the great amusement of pedestrians, little children, dogs, and the local cop. I wondered why everyone was laughing, howling, pointing, calling their friends and generally making a great commotion. Fifteen years ago and the spouse still brings it up whenever some new gearhead comes into the garage to bench race.

Dragging gas station pump filler hose away w/you? cuss.gif ..., is that the Hotrodder's version of the Geek trick when he walks out of a restaurant's bathroom w/toilet paper stuck to the bottom of his shoes? weird.gifugg.gif

This is one area I'll try to learn from others & attempt for the rest of my life not to personally repeat. Remember, just the fact that you are confortable admitting it means you're on the road to recovery...admitting your fault is the first step to recovery! ;)

Thanks Jeromio for the fuel tank mod; I'll put that in my little black V8 book under "Things to Do" if/when I can make my swap; I also agree about the spare tire being useless...especially if one has made the larger wheels/tires modification.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)