HybridZ

converting from AFM to MAS??? why not?

Sparky

i was parusing through my BMP catalog (BMW performance) and came across a kit that lets you convert from a AFM to a MAS. the kits is made by a company called split second. just wondering why we cannot do the same thing. i would think it would be a nice feature to loose to bulky restrictive AFM. so anyway....i ask the FI gurus why we (l jetronic people) cannot....

thats my question of the day..

Swapping to a Z31 300ZX wiring harness, computer, sensors will allow for this. There are a hand full of people who have done the swap and who are happy with the results. I have the parts in hand, but am not sure if I'm going to be doing the swap. My current setup is off of a `83 280ZX Turbo, and the Z31 parts I have are off of a `85 300ZX Turbo.

If you find more info on the Z31 stuff swap pass it on.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the JWT conversion on my 280ZXT. It uses the stock harness with a couple of wiring mods, a MAF from a 93 Mustang Cobra, 420cc injectors, 89 NA 300 brain, and the chopper wheel from the 300zxt, although I don't think it matters as long as it is a V6 chopper wheel.

I was the 2nd person in the US to use the set up and it took some time dialing it in. I had several chip revisions to adjust timing, and am very satisfied with it now. Not at first since my car slowed down, but it has always had outstanding part throttle driveability.

My hybrid turbo spools faster than it did with the stock set-up, but best of all, there is not that distict change from no power to power that I always had around 3500 rpms with the stock ZX fuel injection.

Clark at JWT likes the Cobra MAF since it is cheap in comparison to the Nissan unit, I think I paid less than 200 bucks for a new one.

I have a T3T04B hybrid with the stage III turbine and an H3 compressor and I have full boost by 2800 rpms. It starts making boost around 1800 to 2000 rpms, and I could never get that with the stock set-up.

The other thing I like about an MAF equipped car is that they compensate for mod's a little better. I have not had any troubles out of mine.

Stand alone may be better, and I considered that, but at the time, I drove my car every day and wanted the reliability of having a factory ecu. And I did not have a laptop as I do now, so I may go to the tec unit one of these days.

Originally posted by awd92gsx:

Ron,

Hmm...that sounds pretty interesting, but, unfortunately, I can't find it on the splitsec page...all of the MAF kits that I'm finding on there are over $1k.

Hi Bill,

Try this http://www.splitsec.com/products/fcc1/fcc1ds.htm and http://www.splitsec.com/products/calibrators.htm and http://www.splitsec.com/products/arc1/arc1ds.htm

I saw the kits also that are $1k that's to much. The one I was looking at is the ARC1 its not $259, it's $269

Getting rid of the door will probably help alot as far as responsiveness is concerned. I hated that big AFM, it was just tough to work with all that mess when you were trying to use a larger turbo and plumb all of that and intercooler lines too.

I am not so sure that I still think the stock ZXT computer is not going to be a hinderance as well.

What can I say, I am just not a fan of the stock set-up. I am sure some people have made thier cars plenty fast with them, and more power to them if they have. I like nice drivability, and I never got that with the stock set-up.

I guess it all boils down to money, or in my case the lack of it. One of these days I am going to have a stand alone, until then, my JWT system will have to do.

Good luck with your plans, which ever way you go.

Guest Perry

I started into swapping in a V6 camaro MAF on my turbo 82, then the turbo blew and the 350 went in. The V6 MAF was a good fit for the turbo Z inlet pipe. If there's enough interest I can start the project up again. I was gonna make a black box that allowed you to plug in the camaro MAF to the zx turbo harness where the "barn door" air sensor plugs in. I don't mind cutting up my harness, if you wanted to use a plug in unit I would need some old bad sensors to get the plug from or maybe I could make something. If you would be interested in buying one for about $75 send me an email at perryseaman@hotmail.com. Also I'll need someone with a tweaked and O2 guaged turbo setup to test it on a performance application for free, I already have access to a relatively stock 82 setup, volunteers?

by the way, I can make this work for anything with the Bosche barn door sensor if I can get my hands on a good sensor. If you want one for something else let me know.

Perry

Guest Perry

Ok I looked at the split second site, I better give more detail.

I can easily make a MAF work on the stock FI. I can even make it marginally adjustable with one knob for richer/leaner. If there is enough interest ($) in it, I can make anything up to a laptop programmable unit that will allow variation from stock signal at any point in rpm band. I need to know what yall want, less restriction by losing the barn door, or to be able to richen/lean mixture for entire airflow range, or just high airflow, or low and high seperate, or what?

Perry

Hi Perry, I've swapped my 83 turbo efi to a 86

turbo efi setup. I'm happy with it but I'm unable to crack the code

enough to find the injector sizing constant. I can change the injection

pulsewidths when the ecu uses the fuel map but not at idle when the

bigger injectors I want to use(370cc) are too rich. Can you give me more

details about what you can do? I'd be very interested. Some of the

products that I've considered can be found here: www.perfectpower.com

and http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html. I've actually got a

megasquirt kit at home right now, I just haven't had time to install it

yet. I'd rather wire in a simple device between the ecu and maf.

Easier and just as good if it's laptop programmable. One thing that

I've found is the 300zxt ecu won't tolerate less than about a 1.6vdc

signal. Don't know if that would hamper you, just something that I you

may want to know.

Bernard

83 turbo

i have a 81zxt motor in my 77.i have looked at all the replacment solutions and have decided that adding electronic add-ons to nissan ecm is a band aid approach.better to just by sds or tec and use gm sensors that you can buy on sunday and be able to tune out flat spots and tune your ignition advance curve for the gas that you run.i saw an add for a maf to replace afm on bmw and it was $500+ .

I guess it all depends on the stock limits of the Nissan ECU.

There are alot of guys out there that claim the only way to make a DSM run fast is to run a Haltech or similiar setup.

The fastest 4G63 on the planet (8.0x) runs a stock Mitsubishi ECU with a VPC.

Guest Perry

I agree the better way to tune these cars for performance is with aftermarket systems like haltech electromotive etc.. The companies that charge a grand to put a mass air sensor on stock injection are ridiculous, that kind of money can be better spent elsewhere to get more horses. I thought some people might want to replace the stock door type AFM with a mass air type is all. The door type is expensive and problematic at best in my experience. The junkyards are full of good mass air sensors. If you are looking for some major performance piece that is not what I am offering, but if you want to get rid of the barn door for less $ than replacing it send me an email. Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

Perry

hey perry,

whats all involved in your "kit" to lose the AFM?

and will your approach be compatable with a 77 FI system.

the reason for the swap is:

1. more room

2. more airflow

3. more room!

the standard AFM is huge! and im finding it a bit hard to really fit it in well...as well as make it look good smile.gif

a programable version would be very cool...but real world daily drivin apps would really not need that much flexability. unless it can be at a low enough cost that it would be a significant differance between that...and a full on prog. EFI system.

just my thoughts...but im interested in your setup.