HybridZ

Vented Gas Cap?

Guest Craig280z

Guest Craig280z

Anyone know where to get a vented gas cap?

I was thinking about just venting the tank at the cap and closing off the vent line that runs to the canister since I don't have one.

Is this SOP or does everyone use the charcoal canister?

Thanks

Craig

I'm not using the charcoal canister, or the vent tank! I welded shut all the vent holes on my tank except one at the top of the tank facing the front of the car. I ran a vent hose from there to the inlet in the side of the filler tube near the top. I then drilled two small hole in the gas cap to vent it. So far this seams to work well.

• 3 years later...

I found out about McMaster-Carr here & while looking at some other stuff, found some 1/8 pipe threaded vents that will open in various ranges, from 1/4~1 psi up to 45~80 psi. The part # is 1093K11 through 1093K4. Seems like you could drill & tap your cap for 1/8 pipe & screw 1 or 2 of these in as needed.

Can't find an aftermarket gas cap.

• 3 years later...

Before this gets sent to the tool shed for necroposting can't you just delete his (and mine for the matter) post. If it's sent to the tool shed then it closes the post.

This never mattered to me before but that mcmaster part number is exactly the vent I was looking for for my fuel system.

Just a thought

Derek

• 2 weeks later...
How many PSI's should the vent be set at?

I would just make sure it sees a little bit of positive pressure before it opens to avoid wasting fuel when sitting a long time. I might do this soon, and I would probably use the lowest one; 1/4~1 psi. The only other one that might be usable is the 1~5 psi and that's pushing it. Would you want 5 pounds per square inch of pressure on the walls of your gas tank before it opened?

Before this gets sent to the tool shed for necroposting

How is this necroposting? It's a tech question and it's still valid; assuming no more recent post discussed this McMaster part. Now if it was a "for sale" thread or info about an event that passed, that would be another matter.

I was having some fuel supply issues, and as part of the repair, I did vent my gas cap. It improved my performance a noticible bit, but did not "fix" the problem completely. (My Z has all stock components in the fuel system, including the vapor recovery cannister.)

If you look at the gas cap carefully, it has something like a sealed circular passage under the cap. I drilled one hole into this passage from underneath, on the downhill side, and a second hole from the top into the uphill side of the passage. This makes something like a staggered vent, which seems to have worked, as I have not had any liquid overflow. The hole sizes were 1/8" underneath, and 5/64" on top.

You can read the whole "fuel supply problem" narrative here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=147928

starting at Post #19.

How is this necroposting? It's a tech question and it's still valid; assuming no more recent post discussed this McMaster part. Now if it was a "for sale" thread or info about an event that passed, that would be another matter.

I didn't say it was I only said it shouldn't be!

It seemed like there was a string of posts getting tossed to the shed.

Derek