HybridZ

HELP! HELP! MSD 6A INSTALLATION!!!

O.K. guys, who out there has the MSD 6A etc on their Z? I understand the diagram. I have the Mallory unilite 9000 series distributor (Three wires coming out of the unit, brown, green, red) when all the wires are placed as in the diagram, I still have the Ballistic Resisitor with the Z's green wire on one side and Black/white strip on the other, then the tach wire going to the coil plus side. When the MSD is hooped up, ONLY two wires from the MSD or supposed to be hooked up. O.K. how do I hookup the remaining wires on the resistor? Do I leave them there and put the tach wire into the tach slot on the MSD unit? Do I need a tach adapter or does it work with the stock tach? Isn't that wjat the resisitor is for? ANYONE PLEEEEAASE help and say you know exactly what I am talking about!!!L.O.L

Thanks in advance....

CorZette

Tech support would be your best bet. But

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that

the 6A series don't need resistors because

they have the failsafe circuitry.

As for the tach, I think it depends on what

type of tach you have which would then tell

you if you need a tach adapter. Just hooking

it up to the tach port on the 6A might not be

able to drive your tach.

Again, ask tech support. They ususally email

back within a day or so. Also, check their

tech stuff on their website.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Forget about using the OEM Datsun tachometer with an MSD unit (unless you're ready for a lot of troubleshooting and big headaches. I tried everything under the sun to get my stock tach to work. Adapters, power resistor delete, etc... MDS tech line was friendly, but not very helpful. The MSD tach adapter (X1000 amplifier) worked OK until 2000rpm's, but then would fall off anything over that. I had my theories on how to fix it, but eventually bit the bullet and just bought an Autometer. I think Autometer and MSD have some sort of "conspiracy" out against tachometer manufacturers. Autometer is the only gauge I know of that will accept a 12V square wave tach output... which just happenes to be what the MSD unit sends. Hmmm... coincidence?

On a positive note, three pumps of my chokeless double pumper, and the Z fires up EVERY no matter how hot or cold it is. Definitely worth the time and money.

Good luck anyway.

-Andy

Guest Fast Frog

I'm not sure went wrong with Andrew's setup, but I installed an MSD 6AL when I dropped my V8 in my Z. After using JTR's recommened 15,000 ohm 1/2 watt resister, I purchased an MSD tach adaptor for $80+ and my tach works fine!!! Don't forget to adjust your tach in the back by using the setting screw as prescribed in the JTR manual.

Good luck!!