HybridZ

got a new idea for ecu swaps

David K

the infiniti M30 has an f/i system that might work on our l28's and it is sequential fire too. i am interested in this and i am looking for more info leading to a sucessful install. how do we hook up sequential injectors? when do we need them to fire? stuff like that. BTW the M30 has the same engine the z31 has.

no i dont agree. the seq firing is done via crank sensor (i think) so why would it run out of time to open and close? what time are you talkign about? at high rpm the injectors fire so fast, it would be just like a batch system. i dont see any driveability problems here. I am goign right now to research some m30 stuff and i will be back with some info.

You have a point David, they can be sequentially fired, but at what point does the sequential firing scheme become irrelevant? Speaking for myself (having done a Z31ECU swap), if the ECU isn't able to get me more power via larger inductors and greater ability to meter air, it's not worth it. I am currently getting 260hp to the ground with my stock ZXT injectors and Z31 ECU - that is probably close to the limit. The Z31 folks are not known for running bigger injectors unlike the folks running ZXT ECUs (not sure why...there is a significant adjustability to the Z31 MAF) I don't know anything about the M30 car or ECU though - I am very interested in hearing about the potential.

Sounds like the z31 system is better suited for higher horse power numbers out of the box.

I'm sure the system could be reprogrammed, but as to who has the knowledge to do so is another question that may have you running in circles.

Does the system support multiple coil packs? I think the Grand National setup is a well proven flexable system with many options (sequential injection fire, I think multi coil pack, knock sensor, ready to boost!, and many ways to adjust things). If you're thinking of going to a completely new setup maybe you should consider the GN setup.

Also I've noticed a MKIII Supra Turbo out in the junk yard. There are a lot of wires to the system, but in stock form with 440cc/min injectors, batch fire, multi coil pack config the supra will make 290hp at the crank. It supports 2 knock sensors, and picks up crank possition from a cam possition sensor that rotates twice clock wise for every crank rotation (magnetic pickups could be adapted to any crank). HKS makes a fuel cut defender to boost more, a sport fuel and timing piggy back computer (for different sized injectors), a Vein Presure Converter setup to rid of the MAF (for different injector sizes), and a BCC to fine tune things.

A Gn system has a cam sensor that is a pain in the neck to mess with unless you know what you are doing, so if you are thinking poor mans Tec II, think again. Not saying it can't be done.

There was a 300ZX Z31 that was built up in SCC magazine that used the infinity ecu that was modded by JWT, and it had two timers and was sequential, although I am not sure if it was all the way out.

Mine and JeffP's ecu's are 88-89 Z31 that are quasi sequential up to 49%, and then switch over to batch fire. What that means is it batch fires 3 injectors instead of 6 until the fuel requirement reaches 49% and then it makes the switch since it only has one timer.

The switchover was very noticeable when I first got my set-up, but with revision work, it has cleared up and is really not noticable. It is certainly much better than the 280ZXT ecu.

I would like to add that if you are using a Z31 ecu, you have to buy bigger injectors anyway if you went to a stand alone, why not just have the ecu upgraded? It would be cheaper than a stand alone.

I would think that for this to become a worth-while swap, it would have to be able to measure more air and meter more fuel (big injectors) than the Z31 or 280ZXT ECUs. What was the HP rating of the M30? IMHO, all the sequential thing is good for is a nice low RPM response, and most ECUs will end up going batch at the top end just because you run out of time to open and close sequentially.

• 3 weeks later...