HybridZ

Wiring mess

DatsunBoy77

Alright, i am helping a friend out with his 77Z with a 83 turbo swap. the 83 wiring harness is a real mess. His friend hooked up the injectors right to the battery and the fuel pump to a switch. Now i am gonna take a shot at fixing it. He seems to be missing the pigtails to the relays. Does the 83 use the same pigtails as the 77? I am just going to start off with that. I am going to check the fuel pressure and check his temperature sender bcuz the car wont warm up past 1/4 of the way.

It won't warm up?!?! I can't believe it runs at all. How are you metering the fuel? By flipping the pump switch on and off? You are going to need a lot more than matching pigtails. You're going to need the computer and harness that went with that motor, and a lot of know-how. If you don't know a lot about efi and turbos this is a project I'd run away from while you and your buddy are still friends.

When the motor blows it's going to be:

Your friend twak.gif you

BTW, Welcome to Hybrid

;)

Actually he is using the harness from that motor and the ecu. The only thing is he is missing some of the wiring for some relays. He has the relays. He hasn't driven the car for more than 5-7 miles. Just to go get exhaust. I think because the injectors are at wide open all the the time so it is just dumping in fuel. And yes he has to turn the pump on with a switch. I am trying to fix the car for him before he blows it up. The motor has no miles on it almost. Is most of the wiring harness the same between the 77 and 83?

Well he got the engine harness and ecm from someone. The problem is it was missing a couple of pigtails and relays. We got the relays. Is there anywhere to get the pigtails we need. That is why the fuel injectors were hooked up to the battery. I have been trying to trade him for the car from him so i can fix it, but he wants to get it running right first. I don't wat him to blow it up, that is why i am trying to fix it. I have worked on many fuel injected turbo cars, but never had to do any harness wiring up, so some of this is new to me. His friend whom wired it up to the battery hasa 240 with an 82 turbo motor in it, so the guy figured he knew what he was doing. I guess not.

It is possible to not use the relays at all. Although relays are good :D

Looking at the wiring diagram will show you how the system gets power. I tied into existing relays for my orange car. I have my fuel pump come on with the ignition system, not modulated by the ecu.

The guy has like the haynes manual, but he can't figure out the wiring without the pigtails. I haven't had a chance to help him yet cuz i have been working on a water pump on my car. Too bad i can't get the car off him. I would just get another harness. I got some infor on wiring up the injectors without the pigtails from a long search.

MAN, how does the car even function? yeah you can run without relays, but you are taking a risk, a big risk without the relays. it would seem to me that harness is fubar and you should just get another one, maybe spend a couple hours at the nearest junkyard, and cleanly dissect the wiring harness of a turbo car, its almost the same amount of work that would be needed to clean up the harness that the guy has in his car. just my .02