HybridZ

what to do list to install triple carbs???

hiromino

hi. i am going to install triple solex carbs inmy '73 240z. i got manifold, carbs and will get linkage from Top-End performance. I was told that i need to change fuel pump and put fuel pressure regulator. What kind of pumps and regulators are good? my plan is to get both from MSA. or is there cheaper ones? also, is it hard to chage mechanical fuel pump to electrical one? i am not a mechanic and am wondering whether i should give it a try or go to shop before i mess my car.(if i do it, the car has to be done in one weekend, otherwise i won't able to go to work)

thanx

i would go with a holley fuel pressure reg. 30.00

electric fuel pump, holley again, or one of those purolator ones you can get from any car parts places, they work. or you can run the stock fuel pump and put the elec fuel pump in line, but then again what size are your triples? if they are 40s

you probably wont need to change any of that stuff. but i would NOT suggest trying to bolt on the webbers if you are not very mechanically inclined if you rely on it as a daily driver. and do you truly need triples? built motor? its something like an 8hp gain on a cammed motor with more response, a waste of time in my opinion, thats my opinion though. im not trying to discourage you from anything please i hope i dont come off that way, but dont take your ride out of the game for that third carb if you dont need it.

the original round top z carb are much better on the street .when you open 6 carb throats at same time you get NO manifold vacuem.what does it take to draw gas through a carb?manifold vacuem-thats why they stumble until about 4000 rpm.the weber/mikuni 3x2 set ups are really for high rpm only like a scca track car.the oem carbs were of a constant velocity design to keep bogging to a minimum.the 2 oem carbs will flow around 500 cfm.

robello builds a killer 3.1 liter street z motor that runs oem round tops and makes about 225 usable horsepower.i know -i have had one outrun my turbo77/81 on the straight at thunderhill.

thank you guys.i really appreciate. i'm going triple solex 40 because the flat tops i got are leaking gas. i'm not expecting any power gain(well, i guess i will gain some, since the carbs i got now sucks). what i'm looking for is carbs that are working and the sound of triples. it sounds like i don't need to go triple with my set-up. round tops sound better. but i guess i'll have triples installed. i already got parts for triples and i like the sound they make. btw, how is the sound of SUs with air horns? do they sound like the triples? i really like the sounds of the triples. if SUs sound like triples i might change my plan.

triple carbs on anything is pretty bad ass, if you really want to go triple go for it

but tuning those things is pretty tough from what i hear, but the induction sound

is pretty nice, combine that with a glasspack and you sound like a ferrari.

probably wont be a hard install, its the tuning.

Guest kc6wfs

The webers and all sound nice from the velocity stacks on them.

I had 3x webbers on several z's I have owned. Loved it every time.

I agree totaly with the vacume loss when u gun it at lower RPM's.

Thats why everyone thinks it's fast... falls on it's face then picks up fast.

I always ran mine a tad lean, seemed to help with the stumble.

Also ran through head gaskets every few month or so.

I have a flow meter if ya want ... Free...

If you need help setting up which ever set of carbs you get I can help.

Thanks.

Dave

cheers.gif

thank you everybody. i'm still wondering whether i should go solexs or SUs. SU sounds lot easier and cheaper,too. considering my money situation i guess i better go SUs. but triple set up is what i wanted since i got the car....

Solexs SUs

fuel pump $70 $100-150 (Tim??)

puel regulator $30 probably no labor

linkages $200 total $100-150?

labor $300??

Total $600?

what you guys think? any opinion?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Have any of you actually driven a Z with properly jetted and tuned side drafts on it??

There is no bog or "falling on its face below 4000rpm". I will be installing a set of DCOE 40mm Webers this month on my 2.8L. This will be the second set I have tuned. Now I am no master, but I can tune them to have perfect throttle response and a very strong acceleration curve from idle on.

To all those thinking of triples. On the street, they work just fine when setup. And they are not that tough to get right. They stay setup for a long time as well.

The triple's will give you poorer gas mileage than the SU's, but better performance and throttle response. (I have not driven the now godlike, ledgendary Z Therapy SU's)

My last 240 with 2.8l got about 25 on the freeway if I was easy on it. It pulled very hard from idle on and was very clean with no bog.

Mike rockon.gif