HybridZ

Edelbrock Performer Carb

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Yesterday I got what I thought was a steal. A guy at work had a brand new Edelbrock Q-Jet Performer RPM Carburetor, number 1904, and an aluminum Edelbrock Victor series manifold, number 2975.

I only paid the guy $170.00 for the two :D

I went to the Edelbrock site today and I can't find the manifold or the carb listed. I also went to Jegs (I didn't look for the carb @ Jegs though).

My block is from a 75 Camaro so will these new toys work for me? I noticed on the carb box that it is for 1980-89 GM vehicles. The information on the inside says that this carb is 795cfm and is for light duty pick-ups, suburbans and vans up to one ton.

Did I get a good deal?

Or am I just going to have to turn around and sell these items?

Does anyone know what these two things costs new?

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks

Guest Anonymous

WooooooHooooooooo!!!!!! cheers.gif

Unless I looked at the wrong thing, I found my carb and manifold on Jegs.

The carb goes for $456.99!!!!!

The Manifold is a Victor Jr. and goes for $179.99!

Now the only question is can these be used on my Z 350. :confused:

Guest Anonymous

A question for Mike C. The Victor Junior is a high RPM manifold and the carb is a high volume light truck carb...You may need an appropriate cam to get this carb/manifld compatiable with a SBC in a Z car. One question is are the idle mixture screws adjustable for a chev truck only application carb.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Larry,

I looked again at the manifold it has Performer RPM wrote across it so I do not know if it is a victor jr. On the Jegs site it shows that #2975 to be a victor jr. But it doesn't have victor jr stamped on it anywhere.

I have seen some pics of the victor jr and they seem to have it stamped in the same place as mine had the performer rpm bonk.gif

I really hope that I can use this set up. I will be having the engine rebuilt so I will tell the builder of these items and see what he reccomends.

Guest Anonymous

You may be better off with a Performer RPM manifold for the street. The carb should be smog legal making it a very hot replacement item for small truck owners but hard to adjust for performance. You maybe better to trade it off. The RPM manifold will be more suited for the street than a Victor in the 1500-6500 RPM range but likes big valves and a mild cam of about 234/244 degree duration at .050. I suspect that your 350 may have a similar mid range cam and the heads 1.94/1.50 heads.

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys, just came in from work. I definately have a performer rpm manifold. It was in a Victor Jr. box lol. The number on the manifold is 7101.

I checked with the local Advance Auto Store and the carb runs $516.88 new.

The one I have is brand new in the box still wrapped in plastic never been installed on a car or truck. :D

Can you boys say ebay!!!! cheers.gif

You should be able to make both work well on your car. Just be careful with your cam selection. Anything above about 216 deg at .050 may be too much for the carb. The RPM is an excellent manifold for a street car. Smokin' deal, too. I'll give you $200 for the set, what da' ya' say? :D

You know the thought of taking it to an auto parts store has crossed my mind tongue.gif The box has been opened and the shrink wrap has also been opened. The guy had an early to mid 80's model C-10 Blazer 4x4 that needed the carb and intake.

His dad bought him the carb new at Christmas and he got the manifold second hand. He says that the guy only fired up his Chevelle once with the manifold on it. He then turned around and traded his Blazer in on one that was fuel injected. Go figure.

Mike if you think that it would be fine to run I will just keep it. But I gotta tell ya when I found out how much the darn thing is worth I started seeing dollar signs, lol

I very rarely if almost never come out on top in any deal I do when money is concerned.

Guest Anonymous

Charlie... Mike C pointed out that the carb thrives on a 216 degree cam which is mild. Take it back and get two Edelbrocks or two Holleys or one of each or a bunch of lottery tickets..or a Holley and amanifold and a cam and a doall wrench and some lifters and a small utility trailer Take it back and trade for some more

I was making an assumption :rolleyes: that he didn't want to take apart and twiddle his new carb but just screw it on and go. If you don't mind modifying, you can tune the Q-jet to whatever performance level you desire. They run really well on the street with excellent manners, drivability and startup. They will be down slightly on max power compared to a Holley, say 750 double pumper. The 216 @ .050 cam should be good to about 5000-5500 rpm or so.

On a similar note, I had an old Energizer 284 (228 @ .050 and 112 LCA-a real POS in hindsight) in my 331 in my camaro. It ran low 14's and pulled about 6200 rpm. Same motor is in my Jimmy now with an Energizer 266 (210@.050 110 LCA)and pulls about 4500 rpm. I guarantee it would be faster now in my Camaro than it was with the big cam. So regardless of what you decide, make sure you optimize everything for what you want to do or for the parts you already have. Especially cylinder heads. With stock heads and 1.94/1.5 valves, don't bother spinning it more than 5500 rpm and seek to maximize low speed torque. Not only will it be cheaper, it will be more reliable, and I'm willing to bet faster.

I called Edelbrock yesterday and the guy said the Q-jet would work with my manifold but I would have to get an adapter because the carb would not simply bolt up to that particular manifold. He reccomended that I use a Performer 7102 cam with the set and a stall converter of at least 2200.

I have decided to put the carb on ebay and I will take the money and get the carb and cam suggested for the manifold that I have.

It is already over one hundred dollars and has 8 days to go. :D