HybridZ

Engine maxxed at 2k rpm

78 280z with stock engine. It had been sitting for a few years and I just got it running last week for my Velo Rossa project. The muffler is off but the "pre-muffler" is still on.

Anyway - I fires right up and idles great and sounds fine but when you give it gas - it it goes as high as about 1800 - 2000 rpms and hesitates.

I did the usual to get it running, drained oil and gas and put oil in spark plug holes before turning it by hand. Drained and purged old gas and ran new gas through lines before hooking the fuel line back to the fuel rail.

I am not a mechanic and would like some insight as to where to start looking. BTW - compression is fine.

Thanks for any input.

Guest Anonymous

TEO....the old Zs suffer from setting. Take the gas cap off to see if any of the gas tank vent lines are plugged. The car will idle normally but not rev if the gas tank is not vented.

This may sound crazy, but check your distributor to make sure the mechanical and vacuum advances and everything else in there is working. I had very similar problems in my car, acting like it had a rev limiter put on it at 2,500 rpm. It didn't clear up until I replaced the distributor with one from another car.

Probably not the issue, but worth checking.

Myron,

This totally floors me - I don't even have the air filter connected. I took it off when I tore off the front end and I will try to get over the car tomorrow before I jet out of town because I won't be able to sleep redface.gif until I test this.

I did test the gas cap idea and the TPS looked ok.

Thanks a million,

Teo

This may sound even crazier than the previous post. I had a 78 that I stuck the motor and tranny in from an 82 model. After doing so, I had a bout 4 wires that I coudlnt figure out what they were for. the car would do exactly like you say: start,idle fine, rev to 2k then hesitate real bad... My dads solution was to have me switch the ENTIRE wiring harness from the 82 and graft it into my 78... I did it(like a dummy)!! I went to start the car and I got the same problem... I spent 3 days leaning over the car trying to figure out the problem....

then my buddy came over and we were both leaning over the car scratching our heads.. I am trying to rev the car past its 2K "barrier"... My buddy held his hand over the air cleaner inlet and BAM it ran like a top. He want choking the car completely, just restricting the airflow. Turns out it didnt have a filter in it. When I installed a filter I never had another problem.

I guess the airflow meter needs a little restriction for it to work properly. Just plain weird!!!

Myron

Well,

I tried to block the airflow a bit and that actually improved a bit but still no go. It is stuck at about 1500 without anything and with my hand over it I get about 2K.

Will keep at it puke.gif

Thanks for all the help so far.

BTW - this motor is a candidate for a refreshening anyway but I would like to see what is going on before I tear into it...

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest MHarpham

My problem turned Out to be my AFM. The Spring tension screw had come loose. I had to adjust the tension on the gear in it several times. Always tighter before it would rev under load.