HybridZ

no blinkers

I have a 78 280 2+2 I got a new alt. The old one over charged and blew the fuseable link the new problem is that when you use the blinker the alt red light and the fasten seat belt light come on but the blinker don't work. Also the alt light stayes on until the fasten seat belt light goes out when you first start the car. I know somthing is melted but can anyone give me a place to start looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like low output voltage. Hook up a voltmeter across the battery terminals. With the engine off you should read about 12 volts. With the engine running it should read 14-15 volts. The voltage shouldn't vary much between idle and say 2500-3000 RPM.

My guess when the alternator light is on, you only have 10 volts or less. That could cause the blinkers to not work.

Recheck all of the connections to the alternator and fuseable link. Make sure your ground straps are on tight.

Good luck.

I would also guess that the problem has something to do with low voltage.

My brother had exactly the same problem with his 280ZX. The source to the problem was a melted and old wire going to the alternator. We put in som new wires and now it works fine. rockon.gif Also the headlights did not work properly at the time.