HybridZ

How Many of You are Engineers?

speeder

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FSAE... but if that chance is passed you by...

Well it's tough. But check out all the big company websites, they typically have their job listings online. Apply to everything and cross you fingers. I put out 150+ resumes this summer to racing teams, manufacturers, etc. and ony had a handful of informal interviews... It really helps to know someone on the inside. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it is a requirement. (knowing someone in the company) I certainly had much more luck when that was the case.

Also if you are an engineer, make a point of listing your practical skills and experiences. That is what will make you stand out as an engineer. This was a suggestion made to me by a couple of Formula Atlantic teams. (kudo's to those teams that actually took the time to respond... which was very few)

While my resume isn't the best, I'll post you a link anyway. It never hurts to see another reference.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/drax77/CV%20-%20Richard%20Lewis.pdf

When you said that you need to know someone on the inside, you werent kidding...

A friend of mine graduated last year and now has a job as an automotive consultant. He was an econ major!! :shock: He knew a friend that hooked him up with a job, now he gets to drive around in cars like the Bentley Continental and the subaru Sti just to name a few.

Thanks for the advise.

I'm a Software Engineer.

I do embedded system programming for handheld X-Ray flouresence instruments used in metal alloy analysis. I also serve as the LAN administrator and all around PC technician due to the fact that my company is very small.

The company I work for is named Keymaster Technologies.

Ken W.

Guest 240hybrid

I'm joining the Operator Engineers Union joint apprenticship/training program here soon. Just applied last week, and am waiting for a interview and assessment. I know, its not quite as technical as your MEs, EEs, or AEs, as far as the Engineering aspects, but running heavy machinery does require certain skills and knowledge to get the best use out of them, and keep everyone safe while doing it.

Chase.

How would you guys compare Cal II to Cal III?

I am thinking of taking Cal III this semester but i feel i didn't get enough

out of Cal II and will probably have to go back over it on my own.

I will pass Cal II this semester but i just don't get some of it. I can do the problems but i don't understand some of the concepts. Does it matter to know infinite series and stuff when attempting multi variable Calculus :?:

Guest Smooth Operator

I'm 18, just finished high school in May. I've been considering engineering but latley I just don't know anymore. I love cars, I love computers, I love designing, but all that math that lies ahead...:shock:. I don't really have any probems with math itself, the highschool I went to messed up alot of my credits and I ended up graduating with my highest math being Geometry 1. :( I have soooo much to catch up on, I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it. I'll be a suicidal junkie before I escape college.

How would you guys that have made it through it all describe the journey?

All I wanna do is play my guitar. :(

Nothing worth having is easy. I was a pro musician with years and years of liberal/fine arts education before I went for the ME. I had 0 math skills and a real fear of math too. I started out at the bottom, with basic college algebra courses and worked up from there.

I attended many colleges and universities over the years, but I always lost interest and dropped out. Engineering is hard and that is what finally kept my interest. What have you proven to yourself if you always go for the low hanging fruit?

Anyway, I was 35 before I graduated with the BSME. As far as getting engineering jobs, of the best places to look for engineering jobs and break into the profession are while you are still attending school. I worked for professors who had engineering companies, worked on research projects and grants, worked for the department, internships, etc. Then you have something to put on a resume and you have some good references.

John has some great advice above.

BTW, get those math skills down SOLID before going forward. I made the mistake of forging ahead with the Physics and Engineering courses before I had my Calc II under my belt and paid dearly for it.

If you're having trouble with the concepts of Calc II, don't be afraid to take a break and review that next semester (audit the course) before going to Calc III. The concepts in Calc II are very important to understand before going forward to most of the engineering courses, Physics courses (especially Electricity and Magnetism). Don't get in a rush. I know how it is to want to get moving with all of the Eng. and Physics courses, but getting the Math down is ESSENTIAL to being able to understand the concepts in the physics and eng. courses. I would probably be an EE now if I'd done that - my first EE course was a Sophomore course in Systems and Circuits that blew me away due to conjugation integrals - yep - Calc II and III.

Even if you have to take a light semester, or get a bunch of non-engineering electives out of the way, concentrate on the Calc II again next semester, maybe get a tutor for it. It will pay off later.

What Pete says is correct. I made the mistake of taking Calc 3 before I really understood Calc 2. Though I passed calc 3 I never could get through Calc 4 and I dropped out to get a job. I am now trying to go back and finish my degree. I will be starting over with Calc 2 and try to go from there.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Any electronics engineers (or anyone that has a good grasp on electronics) able to help with this?

I think I broke my keyboard (piano)... :(

I connected the wrong power supply and I think I fried it. I opened it up and cant see anything that appears to be damaged, but it just wont turn on.

PM me or email me if you can offer some advice/help.

Thanks! :cheers:

Yeah I guess I take it for granted how important the math skills are, having always had a real head for numbers... there is no doubt about it that an engineer is constantly crunching numbers, so you'd better like it or at least be good at it...

On an aside, have you ever noticed how often people will reach for a calculator to do very simple math?

Thanks for the advice i will probably take Cal III later.

Now i know it is very important to review the topics for other courses.

I will pass Cal II but i don't have a solid feel for it like i am used to having.

Math is usually one of my strong points, even though i will probably get a B, i know i am slipping up. I am not used to doing problems and following steps without understanding completely the concepts behind them.

i am going to take a light semester,

......by the way my Major currently is Control Systems Enginneering Technology(which only requires Cal II). I really want to get an Industrial engineering degree or ME degree so for those Cal III is required, plus i will have to switch schools.

Having been in engineering for over 30 years now I would recommend the ME over the IE. Pay and job availablility is genrally greater. Same thing with BS in egineering vs engineering technology. You'll have essentially the same technical skills but the technology degree will restrict you again in pay and opportunity. Put in th elittle bit of extra effort and get the more valuable degree.