HybridZ

Which is a better intro level track car 240 or 280z?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking to get into entry level track days/schools and knowing me a little drag racing as well. My Saab has power and handles good but being fwd with a less than bulletproof gearbox I'm thinking a z is the way to go. My plan would be to run the car fairly stock until I get better skills, then start adding power (turbo, sbc, who knows) I'm wondering which car is a better base to start from, a 240 or 280z. I'm not a big fan of the looks of the 280zx but the turbo motor and other goodies would be nice. I understand the early 240 is lighter but not as rigid. etc etc etc.

Any opinions as to which is a better choice?

TIA

240Z, no doubt about it. 500 lb. lighter than the 280Z, huge difference. Nicer looking bumpers, too:) Forget the ZX. Semi-trailing arm rear suspension is not as good as the earlier Zs' Chapman struts, not to mention aesthetic issues.

It's a LOT easier to swap bigger, more powerful motors into a 240Z than it is to swap the 240Z's light weight into a later-model Z or ZX;)

My Saab has power and handles good but being fwd with a less than bulletproof gearbox I'm thinking a z is the way to go.
Drive the Saab as your building a Z. For your first year or two at autocross and track stuff it doesn't matter what you drive. The issue will be you - the driver. Time and money spent on driver education during the first two years is worth orders of magnitude more then time and money spent on a vehicle.

And, BTW, fwd can be very fast and it teaches you patience, tire conservation, and correctness of line.

• 5 months later...
sure the 280 is 500 lbs heavier, but if you strip it out (carpet, sound deadening, AC, bumpers, ect) it can be just as good as a similarly prepped 240 if not faster.

Uh, just as good in what respect? You'll not be able to 'strip' a 280z down to the 240z weight unless you are using a hole saw.

I'm with Dan all the way on this one, 240z is the place to be if you are starting with nothing.

This thread has gone around several times. The 240's are preferrable for many reasons, but the 280's have several things going for them.

The 240's are lighter and do look better (IMO). However they are also older and rust free versions are much harder to come by. The cars are also gaining some collector's appeal, which makes them even more expensive. The most important thing you can do is get a rust free car. That will be easier with a 280. You can then back fit the 240 bumpers or an aero kit if you wish.

You mention you know about the 280's being more rigid "etc etc etc". Check out the recent threads about "chassis reenforcement" and the one claiming 240's are more prone to exhaust fumes.

I say the "better choice" is which ever one you can get the better deal on. Just start looking for a Z and don't worry wether it is a 240 or 280.

Hey saabs are great cars. My dad has a 97' 9000 aero, its fast and handles like no other. But the z has alot more tuning options and its rear wheel drive. But the saabs sure are nice.

On the side for choices i'd say go whatever is easier to get. Here in wisconsin you dont come by many z cars.

my buddies dad used to work at planet Saab, and has done some really funny things to them and has owned a bunch of them. the trannies are pretty weak in those cars and you will notice it pretty fast, when you get one to run 17psi and brake stand it!!!! he does swear by them as reliable cars, if you drive them nicely. ive driven a few of them and they do sit comfy though.

besides the 280 was almost as fast as the 240 and handles better.

Certainly not in my experience, but I've only owned 6 Z's. :) Likely if you've experienced a 280z handling better than a 240z, it is because the 280z was in better condition as far as suspension and tires goes.

I've been in a fully restored (stock) 71 240z for an enthusiastic drive, and the car cooks! Handles awesome, and has plenty of pick up. My slightly modified 240z's handled much better than my slightly modified 280z or 280zx.

Anyway, most people put a 2.8 in their 240z's anyway, its so easy to do. Then you can have the best of both worlds, and besides, that is what this site is all about. Seeing a stock car, and saying "this just isn't fast enough, lets really make it move!"

Sorry, Zguy, not trying to jump all over you, just disagreeing with you. ;)

Guest silverbullet
I say the "better choice" is which ever one you can get the better deal on. Just start looking for a Z and don't worry wether it is a 240 or 280.

Just my .02, yeah all things being equal (especially cost and avalability) you would definately want to go with the 240z but above is the best piece of advice you are likely to recieve, find one and have fun :D