HybridZ

70-78 Carbon Hoods

David K

Well guys the arizona z car fiberglass stuff fell through and wont work out.

i wanted to know who would be interested in REAL carbon hoods for their early 70-78. Here is some info and i will quote the author who will remain anoynomous for now.

B13 first, then the B14 and B15. Eventualy

we will have the S13, S14, Z32 new Altima and new Z as

well. Long term we will have carbon wings, lips,

splitters and undertrays developed from what we

learned on the SE-R cup cars.

The hood will be all carbon including the underframe

and will incorporate a functional Nismo 400R style

scoop designed to extract as much hot air as posible.

Target weight will be 12 lbs or less. Epoxy resin

instead of the typical polyester will be used for

maximum strength.

i think i am overstepping my boundaries here, but here is a pic of their prototype hood they just completed.

attachment.php?postid=42590attachment.php?postid=42595

ok guys post away and let him know that you want these hoods!

i like them and i would buy one.. im just not sure of the vents.. maybe like a 280zx vent would look cool.

anybdoy have any other ideas..

im just hopping if you guys do like a different style vent that the hood would fit good and fit over like a V8 swap in the car.

mike

about $500. Cheaper than you would find elsewhere and also offering outstanding technology that far surpasses other fiber hoods.

"Epoxy resin

instead of the typical polyester will be used for

maximum strength"

Im sure the design may be slightly different. The hood is inspired by the Nismo 400r.

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

i was already asking this in another forum, but....can they make a hood that looks like this?

http://www.rx7.com/cgi-local/3catalog.cgi?cat=5&part=5

i like the recessed dual vents, or even one big one towards the front of the hood facing the windshield. i'd imagine it's just like taking out one vent and substituting it with another. and would they paint it at all? thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Hells ya! If moderately priced with some nice vents you can count me in! Wasnt someone else making prototype carbon hoods on here before?? Havent heard any thing on that lately so i guess hes out?? And about how long will this be??

franklin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

i was one of the people making molds for carbon parts for the z. but after see the greater majority of reactions to the prices posted by another guy on the board that made a dash and a hood for the 240z, i kind gave up on making more copies than i need personally. it takes a lot of time, development, and money to do this from scratch. if nobody thinks the price is reasonable enuf to purchase, theres no reason to make the copies. all the calculations i did on price of development and manufacture put me in the 650-850 dollar range per carbon fiber dash or hood, and i would be giving the product away until i sold at least 10-15 of them, that doesnt take in to account storage and upkeep of the molds...... there arent that many people interested in purchasing anyone part, atleast not that ive seen. maybe thats why arizona z got out of the buisness. if and when i get the peices i decide to make for my car done, ill post some pics.... and maybe offer to make a limited amount of copies to those interested. but be forewarned....the price maybe high and the selection will be limited to what im using on my car.

nic

Guest Anonymous

1. Spray hood with non-stick, probably pam

2. Put hood in mold

3. let dry

4. take out hood, with air compressor

5. Viola, female mold of hood!

6. insert carbon fiber sheet, and maybe some foam

core to add support inbetween layers.

7. Vaccuum bag the entire thing.

8. few hours later carbon fiber hood

I know there its alot more difficult than what it sounds but honestly i could do it. And if prices for carbon sheets are getting you down, i had a company willing to cut me big deals on industrial sized rolls...

franklin

Guest ScaryFast

I'm in! Awww, just think of it, high gloss clearcoated carbon fiber hood with silver racing stripes on an orange 240z...........there goes my money for a wile.... rockon.gif

• 2 weeks later...

ZpeedraZer, It sounds so simple... Trust me, it isn't... This isn't like making a carbon gas door lid... It is MUCH more time consuming, costly, and difficult to work up. However, if you find a way to make them that easy, then you will certainly be able to charge less, since you will have less time involved in making them... Go for it and post some pics when you have a finished example...

Mike Kelly`

Guest Anonymous

hmmmm i might think about it but right now i cant even finish my current hood cause of the shity weather. But hell for 300 bucks a pop you guys might have a deal. The only downside of making carbon hoods is that not everyone wants the same look, so a bunch of different models will have to be made. gimme some ideas to further entice me ;)

franklin

There are hoods that look like carbon fiber and then there are real carbon fiber hoods. Hiten Patel (little.simba@cox.net) has been making real carbon fiber hoods, doors, and rear hatches for a few EP 240Zs. The hoods weight under 5 lbs including attachment hardware. They also cost about $1,000. If you want the street racer look then you can get something around $500 or less, but it ain't real.

Guest Anonymous

I honestly dont see where that thousand bucks goes too. I can honestly say that they are very cheap to produce if your willing to spend time on the mold. The money only comes into play on the person having to work on the hood. CF is cheap if you know who to talk to! And if prep work is done well, then less time is spent on each product reducing time/effort/money spent.

franklin