HybridZ

dry sump? Any thoughts?

I would love to find a cheep way to do a dry sump.

http://www.onthenet.com.au/~billzila/Welcome.htm

This guy has made one but i cant find the bit where he has a the moment.Mabye thsoe that cant sleep can have a look. Btw there are some pretty cool sounds in the audio section.

I wonder if you could link oil pumps togetger? bonk.gif

Douglas

I don't have any experience with them, but I think I remember reading somwhere in this forum that they are not practical for a street driver. I think it had something to do with a long delay to get oil pressure? Good for a race car maybe, but with constantly starting and shutting off of a street car, maybe not a good idea.

some of the fords have a mechanical side oiler that runs off of a belt, the old school blocks i mean, maybe with some fab could use one of those.

i think it would overcomplicate a lot of things if you went with one, but it is cool, there is no delay when setup right, you actually get more oil flow that continues to way up high in the rpms. another advantage is that you could drop the motor down another inch or even two inches and retain the same ground clearance, also good for clearance for those doing belly pans. maybe even for running turbos where both manifolds have to join under the oil pan?

anyways, its not a neccesaray thing unless youre truly going all out, then its still optional. theres other ways that are cheaper than going dry sump, maybe not as cool though. bonk.gif

Guest Anonymous

If you are only interested in extra capacity, why not add an external double filter setup and a large oil cooler. The added capacity of the filters, lines, and cooler really adds up. That is the type of setup I had on my old MG Midget racecar, I think it added 3 quarts to the capacity. Of course it depends on how long your lines are and what size cooler. I think I had a 13 row. Dry sumps are really expensive and as others have said not really necessary on a street car.

Rick

My Dad has been running a dry sump set up on his Racing Car (sbc), now a Camaro, but other body styles too, for years. It looks REALLY cool, having a gilmer style belt turning a 6 chamber pump, and I REALLY wanted to run one, but he recommended against it on the street for reliability reasons and he said it's a lot of effort for some trick LOOKS!!

thn-07-04-2001_CPT_13.JPG

Would it be possible to add a reservoir to in the plumbing to or from the oil filter/cooler to increase capacity? If it were made of aluminum, it would also dissipate some heat wouldn’t it?

you don,t really need a dry sump system on the street like the guys have said, now a good oil cooler, and baffled pan with a milodon wrap around windage screen is more than adequate, heres the parts I use and Ive never had a problem.(btw the pan sump is extended with the extra sump kit so it holds 9.5 qts and the oil cooler holds about 2 qts)(use only MOBILE 1 SYNTHETIC OIL)AND GET WHAT EVER OIL COOLER FITS YOUR CAR/available space)

(1) Claimer Oil Pan Sump U Build 2 Trap Doors included MWM 15900 25.99 Each

(1)Oil Pan 8 Qt Kevko Modified Racing w/ Trapdoors Info Pic KEV 1090 89.99 Each

(1)Rear Oil Pan Baffle Mounts under Pump Pic MOR 23000 6.99 Each

(1) Oil Pump Moroso Racing High Volume Oil Pump Info Pic MOR 22100 59.99 Each (I ALSO USE BIG BLOCK CHEVY HIGH PRESSURE STANDARD VOLUUM PUMPS BUT THE SBC PUMP FITS BETTER AND IS EASIER TO INSTALL)

(1)Windage Tray Small Block Chevy the Diamond Stripper Info Pic MIL 32250 79.99 Each

(1) Windage Tray Stud Kit 6 pcs Pic MIL 81150 39.99 Kit

FROM http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.asp?ZTM=cadefjgb&GHOME=www.mi dwestmotorsportsinc.com&TITLE=Midwest_Motorsport

(8)of these

http://www.wondermagnet.com/dev/magnet42.html

4 in the sump corners, 2 in the upper pan where the oil will need to flow over them to fall in the sump and 1 next too each of the rear oil drain holes in the heads.

with the extended sump and these parts you are not going to have oil pressure troubles. now, do you need such an extensive wet sump system,..for the street of course not!but if your going to run the hell out of that sbc like I do sometimes, HELL YES>>> ITS GREAT INSURANCE,OILS CHEAP AT $4.00 A QT compared to a blown engine and I smile when I pay $59 for an oil change , where else can you spend $59 dollars every 3000 miles that almost GUARANTEES your ENGINE LASTS YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS EVEN WHEN YOU RUN THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!!

The only thing I might add is that if you are doing high speed cornering (road racing, track days, etc.) you may want to consider and Accusump.

Sure, if you follow grumpyvette's suggestions or use a road race pan like the expensive Canton unit with the rest of his suggestions, you might not need the Accusump. But for a few hundred bucks you'd have a bit of oil pressure insurance if the pump pickup got uncovered for a few seconds. Nice pre-lube-before-each-start function too. No, I don't have one. Mike Kelly does though.

Depends on your application whether you'd need it. Can't see it on the street. More of an insurance policy for track days, etc.

Guest timhypo

I was thinking of running a dry-sump system, the benefits of dropping a small-block lower in a Z are pretty huge, but the Summit system I looked at was around $1000. That's halfway to a supercharger or a nice set of wheels and tires...