HybridZ

turbo sizing for 280-300rwhp??

fl327

didnt want to hog out the to4 thread, heres my inquiry though.

my humble goal for the car is to get 280hp out of the 280zt, safe and nice, i know fuel enrichment would be needed as well as good spark and and efficient piping and a good intercooler, all of which i am currently taking on since i have brakes and suspension right where i want it. I would be completely overjoyed to see it dyno anything in this ballpark of power. fuel enrichment would be done with an aic kit dyno tuned for pump gas once the bigger turbo is installed.

i have driven to LA and back five times with this car, across the entire bay area from antioch to san francisco more than thirty times, and commute it on and off at least 60 miles a day, this is the kind of soldier car im building, my car gets 27mpg on a high vacum cruising speed, stays at 180-195, the extreme of that is a hot day in LA in stop and go traffic, and has sucessfully proven herself to be my friend. do i even need to go to a T3-t4 for this? I know the high powered turbo guys are laughing at me right now. I am not mad at all at the quick spool of the t3, car is to be used as a good daily driving sports car, with no autox, or drag racing except for an intermittant stop light go and maybe a few group trips to sears and sacramento. I like how the t3 spins really fast, since i dont have to shift the car at anything more than 6200 or so, but i know that the turbo has a lot of miles on it and dont want it to spoil one of my long distance trips, what would do me nice for my upper 280ish peak horsepower needs? a 60-1 t3? or a nice t3/t04b? i am not going with a standalone, eccs has been my friend for a good while now, and we understand ourselves pretty good. thanx guys, and yes, I am a nutcase.

my friend built a L28T with a fully ported p90 head, stock block, nice size intercooler(spearco), 18-21 psi, ported non-egr intake manifold, stock turbo injectors running at 90 or higher % duty cycle i forget, his own programmed Z31 ECU, Z31 MAF, downpipe, stock T3, 240sx T/B, prolly a little more stuff but i forget...got around 270-280 hp at wheels. so its possible.

I'm halfway through my ECCS upgrade right now. I have upgraded the fuel system (Bosch pump, SVO 370cc injectors, AEM FPR) and now I'm building the intake. I'm adapting a stock Z31 MAF into a 3-1/2" pipe, and getting a custom sized K&N to sniff from the front of the car. I should be able to tune close to stock by adjusting the fuel pressure (it's running fine with the MAF and 370s by turning down the fuel pressure to 24psi). But now with the modified MAF I should be able to turn up my fuel pressure to 40 some psi and my boost to 18psi or so and get close to 300rwhp.

I highly recommend a hybrid turbo. The stock turbo really is just a hair dryer, and is way out of it's efficiency range over 10-12 psi, although it has been pushed close to 300rwhp at 18psi. I'm using the stock turbine with a TO4B V trim and it's a really good street turbo. It spools like stock, even with my 2-1/2" exhaust, and it flows efficiently to 20psi boost.

datto, are you done with turbo conversion yet?

im probably gonna send my turbo down to alex to get it to4b'd and run 15psi or so on it when i get my fuel system setup, i wont run the injectors past 80% or so, i dont like the idea of running duty cycle that high.

Len, what injectors are you looking at? Are these cars using low imp stuff?

I bought that 82 ZXT by the way, thanks! I pick it up this or next weekend, when I can get a tow rig, already payed for though. I will need to freshen the turbo or buy a temp one off eBay while this one, or some unit gets rebuilt.

i am proabably going with the sds aic kit , it fires two additional injectors into the tb that you dial in to fire with two knobs, one for pulse width and the other knob controls what part of the vacum/boost they come on, and uses a map sensor to do it, pretty simple hook up, and it comes with two 480cc injectors, did the math, it will support 300hp with the stock injectors.

if youre looking for a turbo, try alex costa at pmei.net, he posts here and gives great deals on hybrid turbos, 450-500 i think.

i meant 300hp after i add two injectors' date=' with the math i did with injectors running no harder than 80% max duty cycle i got 265hp at the crank :cry:

for what the stock inj by themselves can take. do you still want the fans?[/quote']

I need to add some injectors. I'm right on or over 265 crank HP :bonk:

I'm the process to send you some $$$.

200rwhp is fun as heck in an early z, you know if you didnt have the dyno and diagnostics you might be happier thinking you had 300 or so, but a lot to impending danger. i have the package ready to go friday, i have a lot of packages to drop off friday. cool. :D

Guest De Schmaydee

......i'd really read up on the aic thing.......there's quite a bit about it in maximum boost.....from what i can tell it's not a good thing to fire the injs down the tb (to a point)......i'm getting ready to do the same thing but i've gotten the intake manifold modified for the injectors to be "distributed" behind he tb.......s

i think its ok, but i would have them fire a little earlier than when boost comes on since they are farther away, probably have the cycle start shooting them off at close to 0hg, so that by the time you are in boost they are firing full blast to rich it up.

Yo-thanx and they will be the mail friday.

hey Fairlady

my car is still down unfortunately..the head is getting major port work, close to 800-1000 dollars worth of work for the N47 head. im gonna stay with the stock t3 for now and upgrade to a t3/4 hybrid 60-1 hifi stage 3 or if i can find the stage 5's for a good price ill get that,....a friend of mine has a stage 3 at 18psi running 11 sec 1/4s with 120 trap speeds. his best with stock bottom end, ported head, ported non-egr intake manifold, Z31 ecu, Z31 MAF, 240sx T/b basically the setup im building was 123MPH at the end of a 1/4 mile...im looking to upgrade the turbo maybe in the summer...should be able to put down 360 to the ground with stage 3 turbo without standalone. ill keep yah guys posted on the dyno runs when done...take it easy all

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

A T3 makes around 300hp @ 18psi. Your looking to make around those numbers at a lower boost say 15. I would look at a TO4E compressor wheel and use a SDS EIC, they look easy to install and tuning has to be easy. The TO4E wheel will hit hard on the lower boost levels as will a TO4B but I think the E is better for you. Good luck....