HybridZ

coilovers without sectioning.

Guest silverbullet

Guest silverbullet

I have a stock 77-280 and will need to rebuild the suspension soon, I have talked to Ross C. at Modern Motorsports and plan to go with coilovers (with no sectioning because I only want to drop the car somewhere between .5" and 1" from where it sits now) and Tokiko Illumina dampeners w/urethane bushings all around followed later with an aftermarket anti-sway bar kit and strut tower supports, I plan on installing a chev. sml. blk. 350 with a 700R4 trans. in a couple of years, my question is has anyone tried coilovers without sectioning and how did you like it? :D

A number of us have non-sectioned coil overs... You only need to section them if you are seriously worried about getting full travel on a vehicle that is lowered MUCH more than you are planning... If you want to give yourself a little extra room, just take the upper strut isolator and pull it appart and shave 3/8th-1/2 inch off the rubber, then put it all back together... My plan is to gut the rubber all together and install a monoball setup which will give me an extra inch to lower the car and not lose stroke.

Mike

Guest silverbullet

Thanks for the reply Mike, when you do the monoball conversion can you please take pics and post? I would really like to see that as full travel was my only worry and I have never seen one of those conversions.

Guest jim@speednation

I was thinking of installing coilovers and lowering my car the same amount, 2" sounds good. I have a 1975 280Z and was considering going with the 240Z style upper mounts which are supposed to lower the car an inch by themselves.

Is that true?

If so, does that have anything to do with the strut height? I can't see how. My thoughts are lower an inch with 240Z upper mounts and use the coilovers to get another inch. If I'm right and I trim the bumpstops a bit, there shouldn't be a problem.

My real reason for going with coilovers is corner weighting the car.

Guest jim@speednation

So I guess my idea doesn't hold water :oops:

I have the Z Therapy Street Racing Video and it kinda covers the subject, though not in great detail. It's obvious that Scott was running out of time on the tape and had to leave some things out. No actual coilover conversions. :cry:

So, cutting the struts is the way to go if I really want to slam the car?

On the other hand, then I need to make adjustments for the whacked out suspension alignment I'll have by going too low. Sounds like an all or nothing proposition. "Do it right, or don't do it at all."