HybridZ

compreesor touching exhaust manifold

Guest Rangerz

Guest Rangerz

Hey guys. I am installing the Jim Wolf Sport 450 turbo on my 240z. Trying a mockup on the engine stand, I see that the compressor touches the exhasut manifold. Is this a big problem or since I am running an intercooler will the proximity not be a problem? I was thinking of making a spacer between the manifold and the turbo, but then I dont know if the downpipe (scottys) will work?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

It is a problem. You will have to space the turbo off the exhaust manifold to clear the compressor. And the downpipe may not fit anymore. That's what's keeping me from getting a bigger turbo at the moment, but I may enlist my local stainless welder friend to cut it and reweld it so I can use it.

I have a JWT Sport 400 turbo which supposedly has the same compressor housing as the Sport 450. I have 1/16 of an inch between the stock L28ET exhaust manifold and the compressor housing. Maybe it's just a casting inconsistancy?

Just my .02c,

Turbonetics sells a spacer and I would recommend that as the fix. 1/6 of an inch from the exhaust manifold will give a significant amount of heat transfer even tho it is not touching. You want the air as cool as possible, and thinking the intercooler will fix the problem is not the best thinking. Get the air as cool as possible before the intercooler and you will have a cooler charge into the intake manifold. Space out the turbo, and if you can also build a heat shield on the compressor side to help out the with heat deflection from the compressor. A pain in the butt I know, but well worth the hassle in my opinion.

just my O2 here :idea:

the heat soak experienced is very bad. You will lose power and it is quite noticeable. You need to space off the turbo atleast 1/4" if you can so you can fit a heat shield between the compressor housing and exhaust manifold. It is also a good idea to use some header wrap on that section of the exhaust manifold. I have been there!

Thanks for the advice guys. My exhaust manifold is ceramic coated and I have a ceramic coated heat shield between the compressor and the manifold except for a 1" section that was too close to the manifold.

Bottom line is my heat soak problem isn't as bad as I might have portayed on my earlier post. Either way I need to fix the hot spot on the compressor. If I add a spacer then my downpipe and exhaust will hit. The only option is probably to add a strip of heat wrap in the area of concern.

Best regards,