HybridZ

any ideas what to use for a drive shaft loop //How to attach

Guest sabum

I was wondering if anyone has ideas about where to obtain a decent drive shaft loop. I saw mustang 5.0 in summit for around $30. I was thinking of tack welding or spot welding one on... I do not want to butcher up my underside of the car. Can this be done?

Guest sabum

let me know how it fits and what year the loop was for. I suppose I will get the same. I am Anal about drilling Holes in southern CA Z cars , I will have to try to tac weld mine in.

Sure you could but if that sucker breaks loose those welds had better hold. Why not bolt it in with some sort of rust preventative on the bare metal and some undercoat under the flat stock? Big washers up top are a MUST BTW.

Another way:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska/drivelinemods.htm#Driveshaft_Loop

There's a dimensioned sketch there also:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska/image/drivelinemods/loopsketch96.gif

This tucks up into the tunnel to give alot of room for exhaust routing.

Doubler plates on the tunnel sheet metal and bolts that screw in from the interior of the car to the mount itself.

Bottom half is removable - top half never needs to come out once it's in.

Thanks!

It's a simple part, but it is probably somewhat of a custom deal. I'd be concerned that it'd be a problem getting it to fit in different cars. The tunnel changes dimensions as you move from forward to rear, and it's height of mounting in the tunnel depends on transmission choice and driveshaft diameter. Kind of a custom piece. Pretty easy to make though.

• 3 weeks later...
just wondering how you guys made out with the summit loop?

Not in quite yet, but I trimmed the ends and found a good spot to bolt in, about 5" back from the front U-joint. It looks like it may interfere with the exhaust I'm installing "while I'm at it", so we'll see what gives.

Pete , nice job you should see about mass producing them for the Hybrid Z community

Pete, absolutely agree with your response to that statement. You do not need that headache. Not sure what was meant by not wanting to "butcher" up the bottom of the car, but unless unless you come up with some design like Pete's, it is unavoidable. The generic Summit hoop works fine and since it is generic you will have to do a little trimming her and there. Drill holes in the floor and use a plate inside for rigidity. Once you get to the point where you need a driveshaft loop, it gets tough to keep the car virgin.

ds-loop1.jpg