HybridZ

SBC 383 fluid damper diameter?

• 1 year later...

I have a 6 1/4" damper, and in the JTR position, have 3/8 to 1/2" clearance to the steering rack. So an 8" isn't gonna work without spacing the motor up. You could probably add some spacers and raise it a little, with hood clearance in mind. Moving the engine forward makes it worse.

John

Well crap. It never crossed my mind about the damper size when I was ordering all the parts for the thing. I guess I'll end up bitting the bullet and forking the money over to get a 6.75" damper. It isn't so much about buying the thing, its that I just REALLY hate re-installing dampers on motors. I know I should break down and buy a damper installer tool, but I always end up using a rubber mallet until I can start the threads on the bolt and have it pull the damper the rest of the way on.

The other thing that sucks about that is my timing chain cover has the timing mark tab just for the 8" damper, and I didn't want to remove my water pump or the cover if I could help it. I guess I could buy a bolt-on timing marker, then I wouldn't have to remove the water pump or the timing cover.

Go to your local parts store and borrow a damper installation tool. DON'T hammer it on!

Do you have the JTR manual? It discusses damper sizes...

I do not have the JTR manual, its being ordered though.

Oh, it isn't like I am wailing away at the damper with a hammer. I just tap in a circle with a rubber mallet until the thread can be caught by the damper bolt.

Trust me, I would just the loan install tool, but my 'local' autoparts stores either don't have them or they are too stupid to know what it is (both totally possible) in order to give it to me.

Just wanted to give a link to A good place to get dampners and other parts.

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.asp?ZTM=cadegeca&GHOME=www.dirttrackthunder.com&TITLE=Dirt_Track_Thunder

Thanks, luckly I have found out about those guys awhile ago. Great prices and fast shipping.

I bit the bullet and have a new 6.75" damper on the way. Thank you for the link anyway.