HybridZ

New R230 Axle Modification

Mike Mileski

I wanted a better solution to modifying an 230 axle for my R230 swap. So far, it seems everyone has used the inner CV on both the inner and outer ends when they shorten and modify the R230 axle for use in a Z car. The problem is that, in the stock configuration, the R230 axle can slide in and out of the inner CV but it is fixed in the outer CV. The modifications everyone else has done allow the axle to move in both the inner and outer CVs. It can move far enough to actually contact the pressed in grease/dust shield on the inner CV, not an ideal situation. My idea was to modify the outer portion of the stock R230 axle so it could be adapted to the Z car axle flange which would allow the modified axle to still function as it did originally. I did this by having a couple of pieces machined for a press fit onto the bearing flange on the end of the modified outer CV axle, then welded in place. The stock Z car axle flange bolts directly to the adapter. You can view a few pictures in my personal gallery (Mike Mileski). Let me know what you think.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ[/url]

Guest Anonymous

I stared at a pile of R-230 axels for months. Finally did what you have described. Works well but DAMN I wish I had thought of that. Looks like a well thought out solution for the R-230 axel set up. Let us know how it works out when torque is applied. Nice piece. MArk

Mike, like I said on the phone, I like it. A high quality weld in that depressed area where the adapter fits on the circular part of the axle should do well. The radius is fairly large, so a 6+ inch weld length should hold a good bit of torque. I wonder if you could key it together as well, in about 4 places around the circumference. Probably wouldn't matter though, as the weld would hold all the shear.

The adapter looks thick enough to have recesses in the inboard side to hold bolt heads. That way you could have the unthreaded portion of the bolts in the adapter as well as the companion flange. But the bolts would be present during the welding operation, so they'd have to be protected then.

Cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, so the single inner CV allows anough compression/extension travel for proper function I assume?

I'm not clear to where you're referencing your personal picture gallery, if you could point me to them I'd appreciate it.

I have a few sets of R230 axles I'm intending to modify shortly and via your method would reduce my custom parts notably and thus pass on reduced costs to customers, win win for all!

I'm already prepared to do a CNC run of adaptors similar (based upon) Mark Icard's adaptors (thanks for lending them Mark!). I prefer to avoid those bolted connections and use recessed pockets so the material can take the shear and eliminate the bolts and therefore reduce risk of more fasteners. Anyone wanting a deal on the adaptors, nail down the design for the other mounting pieces :-D

Do you have your overall design length for the axle? inner flange face to outer face of companion flange or similar?

(I'll have one extra 4.06 R230 diff and axle set unspoken for)

Thanks

ross c' date=' Let me know when you have the adaptors ready so I can send you some stub axles.

Mike[/quote']

10-4, I'm now awaiting feedback from Miles as I like his idea of utilizing the existing outboard end of the OEM R230 axle and therefore not requiring 4 inner CVs for each pair of axles. If that appears concrete (I have to dig out my R230 axles.....covered by control arms right now!) I'll modify my intended R230 companion flange adaptor to mate to the outboard end in some manner.....yet to put that thinking cap on, I was just going to duplicat Mark Icard's proven setup for which we have a proven solution Mark's used to limit that inward floating progression Miles has brought up.

Ross, at the bottom of this message, click on the "profile" icon. At the next screen, click on "Personal gallery of Mike Mileski", and then you can see my pictures. Plus, you have an email of mine to respond to at your Modern Motorsports mailbox.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Miles, thanks, I figured it out just the other night. So you have adequate length I'm assuming with your method. My main concern with your method is the total shear strength still comes down to those 4 smallish companion flange bolts as that flange is left OEM bolt together style.

All my CV adaptors use a machined shear key to do away with that small diameter bolt and bolt circle setup. Although I haven't yet heard of anyone snapping those bolts?? anyone......bueller?

I'm considering dual adaptors on each flange (machined R230 axle end) and companion flange.....although I'd prefer to just find a cheaper CV joint supplier.......

PS, I've sent 2 replies now and they just don't seem to get thru to your email.......1st was Mar. 9th with estimate attached and resent last night as well, any alternate email address? Drop me a note personally if you have an alternate.

Guest Anonymous

That length axel, 12 inches, will be very close to working with Miles set up. Really won't know until someone bolts it up and measures for and axel. I would bet it will be between 11 and 12 inches. Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone figued out the proper length for the axles with Mikes setup?

I`m planning to drop mine off at MOSER on monday.

I`d like to have the R230 setup completed by the end of next week if possible. I`m dropping off my companion flange and outer cv joint in the morning. A toolmaker buddy of mine is going to fab up some adaptors for me.

Sorry that I haven't gotten far enough along to help with this dimension yet. I planned on installing the inner and outer CVs on my suspension, without a spring, moving it to the straight out position (which should be the "shortest" position) and determining the length there. This brings up another question. Some of you guys talk about shortening and resplining your axles. On my axles, the OD of the axle is smaller inside of the splined areas by about .020" -.030". How can you respline one of these and expect complete engagement of the splines? I was planning on having someone make two new axles because of this issue.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this out myself. I will probably talk to Moser eng, in the next few weeks about making some. If we can come up with a standard dimension, we might be able to negotiate a group buy to save a few bucks.

I`m only an hour away from them so I can deal with them in person. Let me know if you or anyone else is interested. I`m going to talk to them about heavier duty stub axles and companion flanges as well.

A friend of mine that is a machinist, Is taking your idea and trying to expand on it a bit. I should know in a few days how it`s going.

He`s trying to add the little ring that centers the halfshaft flange to the companion flange. This should eliminate any possibility of runout to keep vibration to a minimum.

My only concern with Owens measurement is that he is using two inner cv`s. Where I will be using one of each. The shaft penetrates into the inner cv further than it does in the outer cv. The outer cv joint is shallower than the inner. That makes me think that the shaft would need to be slightly longer.

I like the idea of the longer shaft. It should reduce stress under load and also help with vibration. Cv boots may last longer as well.